The Student Room Group

how to stand out when applying for psychology at uni

I'm currently looking for work experience in psychology related fields, as well as doing a few MOOCs and I'm planning on reading some psychology related books. what else can I do to stand out on my application ? thank you 😊
Psychology is an academic degree. Work experience isn’t required or beneficial for applicants.

Look into the actual content of the degrees you’re applying to and the research your universities are doing.
Original post by jarofstarrz
I'm currently looking for work experience in psychology related fields, as well as doing a few MOOCs and I'm planning on reading some psychology related books. what else can I do to stand out on my application ? thank you 😊

Hi! There isn't a lot of psychology specific work that you can get prior to completing a degree, however, this does mean that it isn't expected of you. I would say if you want to stand out on your personal statement, here are a few ideas: volunteering (could be at your college, or an external organisation such as a local charity or youth group), extracurricular knowledge in something related to the course that you can talk about including why you found it interesting, and any other extracurricular experiences such as clubs or societies (especially if you took on a leadership role).
Good luck with your application!
-Kat (2nd year psychology student at Lancaster University)

Hi! Just to echo the above comments I would say that unfortunately there isn't that many direct psychology work experiences available before university due to safeguarding issues. One thing that really stands out though, is partaking in volunteering/work experience where you are helping others, doing supportive or caring roles. Even if its not directly related to psychology, it really highlights that you've done experiences that are related to the values of psychologist/psychology course.

I was able to get on a hospital work experience week, which was really helpful! I was able to link it to psychology particularly because of observing some of the cognitive tests in some wards. This isn't always available but I recommend looking into your local hospital to see if they offer this.

Hope that's helped!

~ Fatiha, Cardiff University Student Rep
(edited 3 months ago)

Hello👋🏻

My biggest advice in your application is standing out from the rest. Don’t write the same things everyone will write. Make it interesting! Why are you the best for the course? Why do you want to study psychology? Just showing sheer passion and enthusiasm will stand out! 🎓

I would research what makes a good personal statement. For undergraduate you don’t need to have work experience. But any work experience is perfect. If you’ve worked at a shop write about how your interpersonal skills have developed talking to customers. If you have been a waitress talk about how you managed pressure and workload. Utilise any experience you have had and show your strengths! 📖

Drive and passion will make your application strong! Write about why you want to study psychology and where your degree will help in the future! I studies my Bsc (Hons) Psychology with no relevant work experience so don’t worry!

Feel free to reach out if you need anything else! 😁

Hannah🐄
DMU Student Rep
Msc Psychological Well-being Student🧠

Quick Reply

Latest