The Student Room Group

Free Education or More Money

I recently graduated with a BEng degree and I’m currently enrolled on a engineering graduate scheme in the UK. My employer offers the opportunity to upskill and undertake an MSc which I’m looking at pursuing. It would be a 1 year full time MSc fully funded and in addition I’d still be paid my current wage.

At the same time I’ve been offered a job at a different company. The starting salary is ~£10k more than what I’m currently on and over 4 years the pay will increase incrementally to an additional ~£10k.

Undertaking the MSc will make it easier to become chartered. However, sticking with the BEng and moving doesn’t mean I can’t necessarily become chartered either, it’ll just be a bit more difficult.

I’ve read and heard quite a few times that education is the best investment that you can make in yourself. But the increase in pay is very tempting.

Any advice would be appreciated.
I'd take the education, you increase your qualifications, get paid plus in the future your application will be far more appealing to employer's eyes.
Original post by intheimageofGOD
I'd take the education, you increase your qualifications, get paid plus in the future your application will be far more appealing to employer's eyes.

yeah after completing the masters you will probably get offers around the one that you're tempted by
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest