The Student Room Group

I feel that this country actively disadvantages older apprenticeship applicants

I have been attempting to enter the workforce through a Level 3 apprenticeship in engineering for years, and I am completely dismayed at what I am up against. Employers are encouraged to hire young for a myriad of reasons, but the civil service worsens this by providing less funding for apprentices over a certain age.

It does not matter that I have good GCSEs. Since my school was fairly nasty to me for not mirroring my all A* older brother, they pushed me to waste my life taking Art past secondary - regardless of my A in double science. Now I'm stuck in NEET, applying here and there, with seemingly no hope to be given a chance.

I always wanted to work in engineering, but I was always discouraged. Even past the discouragement, there are very few opportunities every year; and the times I have made it to the end point interview I lose out to private school pupils or people already working in the industry... I tried to return to college, but I got conned into spending all of my money (every penny) for a level 4 Engineering course (upon their advice that pupils in level 3 are delinquent), only for the mechanical principles tutor to never turn up to lessons, or be double booked for open evenings...!

Personally, I feel that the notion that "apprenticeships are helping people into work", is a lie in all cases bar school-leavers. I desperately want to work and learn, yet because of my age and further education choices during my teens, I'm effectively left for dead at this point.
Reply 1
I don't have a wealth of knowledge on engineering but I can say never give up if that is your passion and your goal.

If your course work at college has been affected by tutor absence and lack of support for the course generally - ask the college for a refund. If they refuse fight your ground. Check the terms of your contract for the provision of the tuition. Educational systems take a huge amount of money off people and they are run as a business. It is not as if it is free and you should be grateful.

Keep applying and visiting every firm you can find that enables apprenticeship's. One day someone might just open that door. In the meantime make sure your basic qualifications are up to speed - Maths, English etc Colleges used to provide supplementary skills in these subjects free of charge - check it all out.

Good luck
Reply 2
Original post by /ó_ò\
I have been attempting to enter the workforce through a Level 3 apprenticeship in engineering for years, and I am completely dismayed at what I am up against. Employers are encouraged to hire young for a myriad of reasons, but the civil service worsens this by providing less funding for apprentices over a certain age.
It does not matter that I have good GCSEs. Since my school was fairly nasty to me for not mirroring my all A* older brother, they pushed me to waste my life taking Art past secondary - regardless of my A in double science. Now I'm stuck in NEET, applying here and there, with seemingly no hope to be given a chance.
I always wanted to work in engineering, but I was always discouraged. Even past the discouragement, there are very few opportunities every year; and the times I have made it to the end point interview I lose out to private school pupils or people already working in the industry... I tried to return to college, but I got conned into spending all of my money (every penny) for a level 4 Engineering course (upon their advice that pupils in level 3 are delinquent), only for the mechanical principles tutor to never turn up to lessons, or be double booked for open evenings...!
Personally, I feel that the notion that "apprenticeships are helping people into work", is a lie in all cases bar school-leavers. I desperately want to work and learn, yet because of my age and further education choices during my teens, I'm effectively left for dead at this point.
Could you perhaps take a job in the industry so you have some relevant experience.Also write to firms enquiring about apprenticeships.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending