The Student Room Group

Extrs A-level at university

Hello, I have 4-alevels, ctech certificate and 1 as level. Got AS criminology (B). A-levels Polish (A), Maths (A*), Computer Science (B), Further Maths (B), IT ctech (Distinction)

The computing, maths and further maths I got D,C,D on last year and the grades above for these including my extra subject ctech are my expectations that are realistic. So I will want to go either Leeds or Nottingham to study Computer Science. After these 2023 exams which is my 3 resits and my extra subject CTECH IT exams finish I will want to do programming and more further maths in summer as I want to prepare for uni and they really interest me. I am thinking of doing physics as my 6.5th subject because I am curious how it is, I want a challenge and more knowledge as I dont know anything about the subject of physics. I will do G404 masters degree in computer science. Do you think it will be do able? I reslly want to know physics and maybe sit an exam, pay for entry at some school or something. To put on my CV more stuff as well. Will my physics, uni and part time job work well together if I really want to. Being realistic I will not sit the exam but eill I have time to learn physics theory? I want to learn new things because I love to
Reply 1
Original post by Krzysztof_Poland
Hello, I have 4-alevels, ctech certificate and 1 as level. Got AS criminology (B). A-levels Polish (A), Maths (A*), Computer Science (B), Further Maths (B), IT ctech (Distinction)

The computing, maths and further maths I got D,C,D on last year and the grades above for these including my extra subject ctech are my expectations that are realistic. So I will want to go either Leeds or Nottingham to study Computer Science. After these 2023 exams which is my 3 resits and my extra subject CTECH IT exams finish I will want to do programming and more further maths in summer as I want to prepare for uni and they really interest me. I am thinking of doing physics as my 6.5th subject because I am curious how it is, I want a challenge and more knowledge as I dont know anything about the subject of physics. I will do G404 masters degree in computer science. Do you think it will be do able? I reslly want to know physics and maybe sit an exam, pay for entry at some school or something. To put on my CV more stuff as well. Will my physics, uni and part time job work well together if I really want to. Being realistic I will not sit the exam but eill I have time to learn physics theory? I want to learn new things because I love to

Learning is awesome but why does it have to be an A-Level. If you have no intention of studying it at university then it will be a waste of money. There are cheaper (and even free) ways to learn about physics like youtube documentaries, online articles and even some academic journals are free to access.
Original post by Krzysztof_Poland

Hey there,

You sound very ambitious which is great!

I think you will know best how much workload you can deal with, and how well you can schedule yourself. I don't personally study computer science but I can imagine like any degree, it will be a lot of work. If it was me, I would finish your exams and begin uni before committing to another A-Level course. It is also worth mentioning that employers will normally look at your highest level of qualification (for uni graduates they will look at your degree classification and work experience!), so as much as it shows your ambition and dedication to your education completing an extra A-level over summer, it might not actually be relevant for your career later down the line - so it is up to you if you want to do it really.

Although, it is a great idea to research helpful content to your degree over summer. A lot of university will involved self-directed studying and research so it would be a good idea to start practicing it now, it'll make it easier transitioning from college to uni too. You probably only will have about a max of 10 hrs of lectures (on avg.) a week and you expected to use the remaining 30 hours for self-study and research; they say to treat university like a full working week to get the most of your education.

I think what has been said above about using free online resources is a good idea, for a lot of students managing a part-time job and uni workload can be stressful so maybe stick with that then re-visit once you're settled into uni.

I hope this helps a bit and good luck with your exams,

Lauren -Official Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending