The Student Room Group

Cheltenham Ladies College VS St. Swithun’s, please help!

Hi there, I am an international student from Hong Kong and I have got a Year 9 boarding offer from both Cheltenham Ladies College and St. Swithun’s. My family and I are now struggling. It would be great if I can hear the comments of the current students or past students of both schools. I personally prefer a school with less Chinese people so that I can learn English better. In additions, I am more interested in Science, so I prefer the school with stronger Science background.

Here are some pros and cons I can think of for both schools. Would you please comment? Thanks a lot!

Pros of CLC:
- Better exam results
- More full-boarding students

Cons of CLC:
- The campus is not exclusive and would that be dangerous as I need to travel from the dormitory and classroom building for a few times per day
- For junior boarding houses, in those 8-people bedrooms or 4-people bedrooms, seem that I do not have my own desk but only can do homework and study at the prep area? Is it on a first-come-first-serve basis?
- Seem I can only have single room until Sixth Form, according to your experience, is it more difficult to concentrate if sharing a room with several people?
- Two Exeat Weekends in each term (Need to leave school?)

Pros of St. Swithun’s
- Single room since Year 8
- I heard the food is good?

Cons of St.Swithun’s
- Less full-boarding students (more boring on weekends?)
Original post by UIO_123
Hi there, I am an international student from Hong Kong and I have got a Year 9 boarding offer from both Cheltenham Ladies College and St. Swithun’s. My family and I are now struggling. It would be great if I can hear the comments of the current students or past students of both schools. I personally prefer a school with less Chinese people so that I can learn English better. In additions, I am more interested in Science, so I prefer the school with stronger Science background.

Here are some pros and cons I can think of for both schools. Would you please comment? Thanks a lot!

Pros of CLC:
- Better exam results

Cons of CLC:
- The campus is not exclusive and would that be dangerous as I need to travel from the dormitory and classroom building for a few times per day
- For junior boarding houses, in those 8-people bedrooms or 4-people bedrooms, seem that I do not have my own desk but only can do homework and study at the prep area? Is it on a first-come-first-serve basis?
- Seem I can only have single room until Sixth Form, according to your experience, is it more difficult to concentrate if sharing a room with several people?

Pros of St. Swithun’s

Cons of St.Swithun’s

St Swithun's has less Chinese students, but you will find that most English students do not mix with the Chinese, due to cultural differences etc... so being in a school with less international students would potentially mean you would have a chance of becoming very lonely. It is not dangerous to walk from school to boarding houses in clc, cheltenham is a very safe town. I have friends at both st Swithun's and clc, but all of them are British so will not have the same experience as you would. Being in a single room doesn't matter much tbh, at year 8 nobody studies, its not needed at all. My friends all got a bunch of 9's at gcse even with sharing a dorm...IMO, You should visit the two schools and see which one has the atmosphere that suits you
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by HshshsHshsbsbshs
St Swithun's has less Chinese students, but you will find that most English students do not mix with the Chinese, due to cultural differences etc... so being in a school with less international students would potentially mean you would have a chance of becoming very lonely. It is not dangerous to walk from school to boarding houses in clc, cheltenham is a very safe town. I have friends at both st Swithun's and clc, but all of them are British so will not have the same experience as you would. Being in a single room doesn't matter much tbh, at year 8 nobody studies, its not needed at all. My friends all got a bunch of 9's at gcse even with sharing a dorm...IMO, You should visit the two schools and see which one has the atmosphere that suits you

Thanks a lot for your insight! It’s very useful. Too bad that I do not have time to visit both schools since I need to accept the offer soon.
Reply 3
Original post by UIO_123

Pros of CLC:
- Better exam results

Cons of CLC:

Pros of St. Swithun’s

Cons of St.Swithun’s

Hi UIO, currently a pupil in CLC.

DON'T COME TO CLC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean unless you are already here but i would advice you not to come
Reply 4
Original post by ningqiushi
Hi UIO, currently a pupil in CLC.

DON'T COME TO CLC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean unless you are already here but i would advice you not to come

Hi ningqiushi,

I am a prospective student applying to CLC
Would you mind to share your experiences at CLC?
Reply 5
Original post by Cwany
Hi ningqiushi,

I am a prospective student applying to CLC
Would you mind to share your experiences at CLC?

Hey Cwany! I am currently in year 11 in clc. this school is not stressful if you don't have high expectations for yourself. we have a very quirky headmistress who is creative but also a bit weird because she's too smart. everything is too feminist, and life can get really dull coz everyone just studies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending