The Student Room Group

losing hope :(

i've got 7 gsce exams left, but i keep being told that i won't do well and that i will be depressed on results day, also that i will regret it
trying my best to get into sixth form, but told that im not going to get & that im making hard for myself also that i wont go into sixth form
i've been crying because i feel that even if i try my best what use will it have?
feeling under pressure to do well in my exams, so that i can have a good future but tbh feeling that im being put down by family members
Who are telling you that? Look them dead in the eyes and tell them "Keep your opinion to yourself, I need to focus on exam. And if I fail my exam it's your fault for discouraging me and making me depressed." Seriously, wth is wrong with them?!

And idk if this help you but there is literally nothing else you can do but be happy? Cram some extra info into your brain now isn't going to help much. Just relax. Being happy and calm actually help your brain perform better. Go read some power fantasy novel or watch some dumb romcom and give yourself a break, ok?
Reply 2
That's terrible that your family would say that to you- it isn't true at all, as you have no idea what the exam will be like so as long as you try your best you have as much of a chance as anyone else!
Keep working/studying hard and I think that you will do very well, and even if you don't think you have done great in one exam- forget about it and move onto the next one, don't hurt your chances of doing well in future exams.
Remember to give yourself breaks too, and don't let people telling you you'll do bad get to your head. You've got this :smile:
Original post by oursgrace
i've got 7 gsce exams left, but i keep being told that i won't do well and that i will be depressed on results day, also that i will regret it
trying my best to get into sixth form, but told that im not going to get & that im making hard for myself also that i wont go into sixth form
i've been crying because i feel that even if i try my best what use will it have?
feeling under pressure to do well in my exams, so that i can have a good future but tbh feeling that im being put down by family members

Don't let your family speak to you like that - they don't know how it's like to be in your position or how ambitious you are and how willing you are to work hard!
The only thing that matters is that you're confident you've done all you can as you walk into the exam hall - and I can guarantee that 10 years into the future, you will have accomplished and achieved everything you wanted to, don't let other people's discouragements get in your way of living your life!
Take a deep breath and tell yourself that your efforts are not for anyone else, but purely for yourself; just focus on yourself and your well-being.
Just have faith in yourself and your hard work and efforts will 100% be worth it, keep pushing through these last few exams, you got this :smile:

This riles me beyond words. My mother has constantly been saying you won't perform well when I have been getting an average grade of 7.5 in all my subjects. Whatever family member is saying this, ignore them and don't feed them
Reply 5
well i keep being called a failure
and yesterday got told what's the point of me living?
well i keep being called a failure
and yesterday got told what's the point of me living?

Who in their right mind is telling you these things?? This is not true one bit, and they're just saying that because they feel bad about their own life. The point of your life is to enjoy it and make the most of it, this means working towards many achievements and fulfilments you will get in your life.
You mustn't listen to ANYONE who belittles or mocks you, because they don't know what they're talking about and none of what they're saying relates to you at ALL. You will work hard for your exams for YOURSELF. You will make achievements in life for YOURSELF. You will look after yourself for YOURSELF. If the people around you are constantly making you feel worthless or bad, then block all their comments out of your life and only focus on yourself.
Your life is worth it. Your hard work is worth it. YOU are worth it. And don't let anyone else convince you otherwise.
Reply 7
Oh honey, I'm so sorry that sounds awful. No one should have to put up with that.
Just know that none of it's true and you are valued and you can do anything you want if you put your mind to it and work hard!! (cheesy ik but it's true)
Honestly, just try your best to ignore those kind of comments cuz they'll just make you feel bad which will distract you from getting where you want to be yourself. Fr though I get you soooo much with the whole parental pressure and yea it gets to you sometimes, but just keep your head up high for a little while longer!! We're almost there! Look in the mirror and tell yourself that you can do it, and you will ace it, and you can shove it in their faces later. Last little stretch here, and you've worked so hard, just believe in your own knowledge and your own work and smash it out the park!
Reply 8

Heya!

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling discouraged and under pressure from your family members. It's important to remember that your exam results do not solely determine your worth and future success. It's normal to feel anxious about exams but try not to let negative comments affect your confidence and motivation. Focus on setting realistic goals, developing a study routine that works for you, and seeking support from teachers, friends, or counsellors who can provide encouragement and guidance. Remember that your best effort is valuable; persistence and resilience can achieve success. Take care of yourself and prioritise your well-being during this challenging time!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest