The Student Room Group

Eligible for Funding after DipHE?

I studied nursing at university, qualifying in 2010. My course was 3 years. At the time you could do either degree or diploma route, I chose diploma and qualified with a DipHE.

If I now chose to apply for a degree in something unrelated would I qualify for student finance? I’ve looked at the gov website which seems to suggest no but I’ve also read that as a DipHE isn’t equivalent to a degree that perhaps I would qualify.

Any help would be appreciated
Hi Sloth231,

What course is it that you are interested in attending?

Thanks, Clare
Reply 2
Hi,

I was considering BSc Psychology at University of East London.

Thank you
Hi Sloth231,

Thank you for confirming. If you were to attend a part time course, you would be eligible however, as you have 3 years previous study in higher education, the 3 years you attended would be taken into account for a new full time course.

If your new course is 3 years in length, the calculation for a new full time course would be 3+1-3=1 year

This means that you would need to fund the Tuition Fees in year 1 and 2 yourself as you will only get the Maintenance Loan and grants that are applicable. In year 3 you would receive the Tuition Fee and Maintenance Loan and grant if applicable.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 4
Hi,

Thank you for confirming. I understand finance for masters is slightly different. If I were to do an MSc Psychology at Ulster university, would this course be eligible for a masters loan?

Thank you.
Hi there,

Would this be for the 2024/25 academic year? How many years would the course be and have you ever studied a Postgraduate course before?

Thanks, Drew
Reply 6
Hi,

It would potentially start May 24. 2 year course, no post grad study.

Thank you
Hi Sloth231,

If you haven't received postgraduate funding in the past and don't hold a Masters level qualification you would be eligible for funding for this course, we wouldn't take undergraduate previous study into account

Thanks,
Calum

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending