The Student Room Group

What's the difference between Bsc and Msci?

I'm planning on studying architecture at UCL, but there's 2 different architecture courses and i dont know what exactly they mean, and apart from them being different lengths of time, I want to know what each will allow me to do, as in which is more beneficial in general?
Reply 1
hi, depends on your field, I can only talk from my point of view,
1. Bsc is just a bachelor and Msci is an integrated master in which you get graduated from a bachelor and also a master. however is a bit more challenging.
2. the good side of this is that if you chose to go for the Msci it's better as if it's your first degree you'll get funded the 4 years as an undergraduate course however if you take the Bsc, you'll get funded as undergraduate and then when graduated you decide to apply for a master separately you'll have to apply for a postgraduate loan which at the end you'll end up repaying 2 loans instead of one
3. I have applied for an integrated master in the STEM sector based on physiotherapy in which the more qualifications and knowledge you get the better, how're I don't know how it works around the field in architecture, if the experience or knowledge?
my English is not the best so I hope you get to understand what I mean, personally I'd opt for a Msci as one year more can help you after looking for a job long-term, is more likely to scalate jobs easily when you get started because of your degrees and also how much experience your uni offers.
Reply 2
Original post by niycos
hi, depends on your field, I can only talk from my point of view,
1. Bsc is just a bachelor and Msci is an integrated master in which you get graduated from a bachelor and also a master. however is a bit more challenging.
2. the good side of this is that if you chose to go for the Msci it's better as if it's your first degree you'll get funded the 4 years as an undergraduate course however if you take the Bsc, you'll get funded as undergraduate and then when graduated you decide to apply for a master separately you'll have to apply for a postgraduate loan which at the end you'll end up repaying 2 loans instead of one
3. I have applied for an integrated master in the STEM sector based on physiotherapy in which the more qualifications and knowledge you get the better, how're I don't know how it works around the field in architecture, if the experience or knowledge?
my English is not the best so I hope you get to understand what I mean, personally I'd opt for a Msci as one year more can help you after looking for a job long-term, is more likely to scalate jobs easily when you get started because of your degrees and also how much experience your uni offers.

Dw you're English is perfectly fine couldn't even tell👌🏾, but ty ig msci is better, especially for the loan bc I've heard they're hard to get
Reply 3
Original post by Una_.07
Dw you're English is perfectly fine couldn't even tell👌🏾, but ty ig msci is better, especially for the loan bc I've heard they're hard to get

yes, they're quite a pain in the arse, and I forgot to mention if your field (architecture) is quite competitive and as well with reputation you may as well if you already got accepted take the best advantage of it and make it through an integrated master, might benefit you even more
Reply 4
Original post by niycos
yes, they're quite a pain in the arse, and I forgot to mention if your field (architecture) is quite competitive and as well with reputation you may as well if you already got accepted take the best advantage of it and make it through an integrated master, might benefit you even more

Trueee I've heard architecture is quite competitive so it would probs make my life easier!
Original post by Una_.07
I'm planning on studying architecture at UCL, but there's 2 different architecture courses and i dont know what exactly they mean, and apart from them being different lengths of time, I want to know what each will allow me to do, as in which is more beneficial in general?

The BSc is a part 1 course whereas the MSci is a part 1 and part 2 course. The traditional route for architecture students is BSc/BA (part 1) followed by a year in practice, then a 2-year masters (part 2) followed by another year in practice and the part 3 exam. The MSci reduces the time to achieve parts 1 and 2 by a year.

In terms of student funding, it doesn't matter which route you choose - BSc/BA + masters or MSci. Architecture is an exception in that the parts 1 and 2 are considererd a single course and students receive undergraduate funding for both (so what the above poster has said about postgraduate funding doesn't apply to architecture).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending