The Student Room Group

Therapy and the Cost

Hi, I'm a student who's lived in poverty his entire life. I've been in and out of therapy for my NPD and trauma all my life
However now I'm about to go to uni, and living completely independently, I've found myself running out of ideas on who I can turn to for mental health support.
I need a therapist or I will spiral, there's no question about it
However I cannot afford the £200 a month for Better help, nor the average cost of a private therapist anymore as I'll be a full time student
Is there anyone/company that I can turn to, that are less expensive but also effective in their treatments?
Thank you all
Reply 1
Hi! Great that you’re thinking about this transition already.

Might you be able to apply for Disabled Students Allowance and seek to use that to cover a ‘mental health mentor’ or similar at your university? Might also be worth seeking advice from your prospective university about this too.

If that’s to no avail it might be worth looking around, for example on the BACP website directory, to see if any therapists in the area offer a student discount. Some practices have a small number of slots for students at a discounted rate.

Hope you manage to sort something out!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I'm a student who's lived in poverty his entire life. I've been in and out of therapy for my NPD and trauma all my life
However now I'm about to go to uni, and living completely independently, I've found myself running out of ideas on who I can turn to for mental health support.
I need a therapist or I will spiral, there's no question about it
However I cannot afford the £200 a month for Better help, nor the average cost of a private therapist anymore as I'll be a full time student
Is there anyone/company that I can turn to, that are less expensive but also effective in their treatments?
Thank you all

You can ask to be referred to an NHS Talking Therapies service by your GP, or have a look for local talking therapies services that may take self-referrals - these are all free. There are charities that offer some counselling and talking therapies as well, and that would be a case of searching for what's local to you, as these vary. I'd say your best bet to begin with is speaking to a GP.
Reply 3
This is by no means a therapist but I've spoken to withjazz.com before and it's sometimes just reassuring to talk things through with an anonymous AI. I would still seek professional help but this has given me comfort in those times between. Let me know how you get on!
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest