The Student Room Group

I missed 2 of my A level exams - will I be able to get an estimated grade

I missed my first two exams of my Further Maths A level this year.

Content warning: mention of previous suicide attempts

Spoiler

I have two more Further Maths exams left to do.

I saw on the JCQ website that you only need to take 25% of an assessment to be awarded an estimated grade, if you miss the exams for a valid reason.

I have sufficient hospital, police, GP and psychiatrist documentation to prove what happened and the seriousness of it, but I don’t know how kind JCQ are in regards to absences surrounding mental health.

It doesn’t say that if I miss two exams, I can’t do the remaining ones. But my college said that they may not be able to let me do the rest. I don’t know what to do.

I’m already 20, so retaking next year is a less than ideal option

Do you think I’ll be allowed to sit the rest of my exams for this subject?
Reply 1
Original post by nushnush338
T****** WARNING: suicide

I missed my first two exams of my Further Maths A level this year. I attempted suicide on both days of the exams and have attempted in between, and have gone missing multiple times too.

I saw on the JCQ website that you only need to take 25% of an assessment to be awarded an estimated grade, if you miss the exams for a valid reason.

I have sufficient hospital, police, GP and psychiatrist documentation to prove what happened and the seriousness of it, but I don’t know how kind JCQ are in regards to absences surrounding mental health.

It doesn’t say that if I miss two exams, I can’t do the remaining ones. But my college said that they may not be able to let me do the rest. I don’t know what to do.

Are you okay?
I'm not sure about if you'll be able to retake your exams but are you off to uni? If you are tell them about your mitigating circumstances they can make an exception if you don't meet your offer. If the college doesn't let you take your exams then I'm not sure if there is anything you can do bc I'm pretty sure it's up to their discretion.
Do you do 3 or 4 subjects?
You can DM me if you need to talk I went through something similar and it does get better :smile:
Reply 2

I missed my first two exams of my Further Maths A level this year. I attempted suicide on both days of the exams and have attempted in between, and have gone missing multiple times too.

Surely someone wouldn't lie about something as serious as this?
Reply 3

I know you're talking about exams but I think it would be best to take time to improve your mental health. 3 Suicide attempts in a matter of weeks...is scary. Exams do not matter if you are not alive.
Reply 4
Do your college not want you to do the rest because of your mental health? Or because you have missed the first two exams? I think you need to speak to them, it's no good them saying you might not be able to - you need to know one way or the other. However if the impact on your mental health is too much then it would be better if you didn't do them. Further maths is supposed to be a ******* of a course that a a lot of people drop out of - is it strictly necessary for what you want to do? Are you putting way too much pressure on yourself to do it when you don't absolutely have to? Have you been able to sit your other exams? There is so much more to life than exams, especially further maths and anything causing you this much stress and anxiety just isn't worth it.

If school/college says they withdrew you due to anxiety (you don't have to be suicidal) then it can go on your other results. I don't know exactly the rules or how many you do have to sit I only know that someone didn't do one of their GCSE papers due to very bad anxiety at my school and they got their grade based on the exams they did.

I would look at the bigger picture though, do you really need FM? Do you have 3 other A-levels? A lot of schools only allow FM as a 4th subject because the drop out rate is so high. Could you find a different route to do what you want? Can you do a foundation year at uni if that's where you want to go. Honestly the thing you need to worry about and concentrate on is your mental health and it sounds like you're really struggling. Get as much support and help as you can - do you have any access arrangements in place for exams? You sound very vulnerable so I think they should be providing you with a small room and rest breaks. Go speak to the exams officer at college, say you need a definite answer and take it from there - but put your mental health first. Nothing is worth more than that.
Reply 5

Spoiler

Hi there,

Sorry you are going through this.

We can see you are getting great advice from the community but we would like to also flag some other useful organisations that may be able to help with how you are feeling.

If you feel that it would be helpful to talk to someone, you can call PAPYRUS on HOPELINEUK by calling 0800 068 4141, texting 07786 209697 or emailing [email protected]. They are available 10am-10pm on weekdays and 2pm-10pm on weekends and bank holidays. If you feel unable to do this, you can look at their safety plan for young people on their website and go through the questions to come up with one on your own.

The Samaritans are available 24/7 and can be contacted by calling 116 123 or emailing [email protected]. There are also apps that can help, like Smiling Minds and Headspace.

If you are in crisis and at risk of hurting yourself, or have already, please call 999 for an ambulance or go to your nearest A&E. If you’re reluctant to go to A&E, you can always call NHS 111 for their advice and guidance.

Please look after yourself.

Take care,
TSR Support
Reply 6
Original post by Andi.0k
Are you okay?
I'm not sure about if you'll be able to retake your exams but are you off to uni? If you are tell them about your mitigating circumstances they can make an exception if you don't meet your offer. If the college doesn't let you take your exams then I'm not sure if there is anything you can do bc I'm pretty sure it's up to their discretion.
Do you do 3 or 4 subjects?
You can DM me if you need to talk I went through something similar and it does get better :smile:

Im only doing two this year as I did two last year. My college are letting me sit the rest of my exams for further maths but not physics. I’m really worried because my physical health since the attempts have been really bad as a consequence (idk why I’m surprised tbh) so I’ve barely been able to study. I’ll dm you if you’re still cool with it?
Reply 7
Original post by ZuBh
I know you're talking about exams but I think it would be best to take time to improve your mental health. 3 Suicide attempts in a matter of weeks...is scary. Exams do not matter if you are not alive.

You make a valid point tbh
Reply 8
Im only doing two this year as I did two last year. My college are letting me sit the rest of my exams for further maths but not physics. I’m really worried because my physical health since the attempts have been really bad as a consequence (idk why I’m surprised tbh) so I’ve barely been able to study. I’ll dm you if you’re still cool with it?

Yeah ofc. Ooh ok. I am currently sitting my final exams (only 1 left!) But it's been okay for me. It was similar for me in my first year (I also did fm) but bc it was first year I was able to just drop out. I don't have much advice on second year exams sadly.

Spoiler

I don’t know how to advise on this (I’m just a student myself) but I hope you’re okay❤️

Quick Reply

Latest