The Student Room Group

Desperately need some advice on next steps towards university...

Hi! Simply put, I've had an awful past two years. Initially aiming for Cardiff University (biomedical science - I want to try for the STP at some point), I'm now not entirely sure it's possible. I'm aiming for a Welsh university (better student finance?), but not sure what one's best for me and what I want to pursue in life. I'm not sure what universities are even worth trying for at this point, so could really do with some advice.

My Mum very recently passed away (I missed 2 months of college), and during this AS exam season I've been unfortunate enough to have caught The Worst Infection of My Life, rendering me pretty useless. Safe to say I think I've flopped. I've got special consideration, but don't think it will really save me much. Honestly I'm predicting C's...maybe D's, because I chose subjects with annoying grade boundaries (English and Psyche). I'm definitely resitting next summer, but I'm not even sure how well universities will consider resitting.

The only thing I think might save me at this rate is my good GCSEs (8 A*s), the fact that I already have an A grade in AS biology and that I think I'll do okay in the upcoming A2 bio exams. I started AS' in 2021, but ended up picking new AS' this last September (because of more awful experiences from LAST year I won't get into) so I have a B in geography and C in chemistry, but these are the AS' I switched out for psychology and english this year. I'm planning to pick up chemistry again (if I even can?), with biology out of the way, but now I'm wondering if it's worth picking up geography too (again if I even can?) because that B in geography is probably more valuable than whatever I'm going to get in my AS' this summer. Is it possible for me to resit AS chemistry a year after I've dropped it is another question? So many questions honestly. I've screwed myself over a bit.

I'm really frustrated at how awful things have been. It feels like these past few years have really tried their hardest to put me down but I don't want to give up. I'm just not sure, with potentially awful grades this year, what is worth trying anymore.

I've applied to a load of work experience opportunities for this summer and a load of summer schools that I'm hearing back from in June, and have been taking part in Sutton Trust Online and Seren Network. I'm not sure how well simple passion will be considered, though, with potentially awful grades.

At the moment, I'm mainly thinking of Aberystwyth (I got 2:1 in the Seren Award, so should hopefully have a reduced offer), Swansea, Bangor and Cardiff Met. I'm not sure whether it's worth chancing actual Cardiff now. I've heard they can sometimes be lenient, but with how low my grades might be...I'm just not sure. My mocks this year also went bad (literally were in January, straight after my Mum's passing), so they don't really offer much insight. I missed one psychology exam because of being ill, so god knows how that grade is going to be estimated. I think I did okay on Unit 2, but the Unit 1 estimate might bring that grade down a load. I'm just feeling very unsure.

I just want some advice. How should I move from here? If I can, do I switch to my older AS levels? Where sounds best for me to focus on uni-wise? I want to at least aim for a NHS biomedical scientist position, but wish I could aim higher for STP. I feel like it's also quite important that I hate small towns? I want to blend in because of anxiety, so not sure if it's worth risking my mental health more by going to somewhere quiet like Aberystwyth or Bangor. I can't really get to open days because of financial issues again. I also need somewhere that I can easily get part-time work.

I've not really got anyone to talk to about this. It would have been my Mum, but I've been left with my clueless stepdad who doesn't really know too much about uni. I would really be grateful for anyone to humour me, weighing up pros and cons.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi! Simply put, I've had an awful past two years. Initially aiming for Cardiff University (biomedical science - I want to try for the STP at some point), I'm now not entirely sure it's possible. I'm aiming for a Welsh university (better student finance?), but not sure what one's best for me and what I want to pursue in life. I'm not sure what universities are even worth trying for at this point, so could really do with some advice.

My Mum very recently passed away (I missed 2 months of college), and during this AS exam season I've been unfortunate enough to have caught The Worst Infection of My Life, rendering me pretty useless. Safe to say I think I've flopped. I've got special consideration, but don't think it will really save me much. Honestly I'm predicting C's...maybe D's, because I chose subjects with annoying grade boundaries (English and Psyche). I'm definitely resitting next summer, but I'm not even sure how well universities will consider resitting.

The only thing I think might save me at this rate is my good GCSEs (8 A*s), the fact that I already have an A grade in AS biology and that I think I'll do okay in the upcoming A2 bio exams. I started AS' in 2021, but ended up picking new AS' this last September (because of more awful experiences from LAST year I won't get into) so I have a B in geography and C in chemistry, but these are the AS' I switched out for psychology and english this year. I'm planning to pick up chemistry again (if I even can?), with biology out of the way, but now I'm wondering if it's worth picking up geography too (again if I even can?) because that B in geography is probably more valuable than whatever I'm going to get in my AS' this summer. Is it possible for me to resit AS chemistry a year after I've dropped it is another question? So many questions honestly. I've screwed myself over a bit.

I'm really frustrated at how awful things have been. It feels like these past few years have really tried their hardest to put me down but I don't want to give up. I'm just not sure, with potentially awful grades this year, what is worth trying anymore.

I've applied to a load of work experience opportunities for this summer and a load of summer schools that I'm hearing back from in June, and have been taking part in Sutton Trust Online and Seren Network. I'm not sure how well simple passion will be considered, though, with potentially awful grades.

At the moment, I'm mainly thinking of Aberystwyth (I got 2:1 in the Seren Award, so should hopefully have a reduced offer), Swansea, Bangor and Cardiff Met. I'm not sure whether it's worth chancing actual Cardiff now. I've heard they can sometimes be lenient, but with how low my grades might be...I'm just not sure. My mocks this year also went bad (literally were in January, straight after my Mum's passing), so they don't really offer much insight. I missed one psychology exam because of being ill, so god knows how that grade is going to be estimated. I think I did okay on Unit 2, but the Unit 1 estimate might bring that grade down a load. I'm just feeling very unsure.

I just want some advice. How should I move from here? If I can, do I switch to my older AS levels? Where sounds best for me to focus on uni-wise? I want to at least aim for a NHS biomedical scientist position, but wish I could aim higher for STP. I feel like it's also quite important that I hate small towns? I want to blend in because of anxiety, so not sure if it's worth risking my mental health more by going to somewhere quiet like Aberystwyth or Bangor. I can't really get to open days because of financial issues again. I also need somewhere that I can easily get part-time work.

I've not really got anyone to talk to about this. It would have been my Mum, but I've been left with my clueless stepdad who doesn't really know too much about uni. I would really be grateful for anyone to humour me, weighing up pros and cons.

Same person again, just want to apologise if I sound a bit unclear and unhinged here, my head's still weird recovering from whatever beast infected me.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hiya love, what you've gone through sounds terrible. It's been 9 months so I assume things have massively changed and that you've put your uni applications in. All the best x
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi there,
I hope you are doing well now and I hope this post won't be too late. If you are considering a career as a Biomedical Scientist within the NHS - you'll need an IBMS accredited degree and you'll need to complete a registration portfolio (most people do this as a sandwich year).

A lot universities offer open days virtually too so this is an option as well. I hope that helps
Original post by Anonymous

Hello there,

Cardiff Met offers Biomedical Science course and we are still taking applications!

We would suggest you apply to the course via UCAS first, and the admissions officer will assess it for you. However, if you do not meet the year 1 entry requirements, then we will consider you for a foundation year.

Should you have any questions, please contact us via [email protected] and we are more than happy to answer the questions you may have 😄

Cardiff Met Admissions.😄

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending