The Student Room Group

What might be useful to study before going in to 1st Year Mechanical Engineering?

Hello, what topic areas or just materials in general would be helpful to learn/look at before going into 1st year?
Maths & further maths. this will be your toolkit as an engineer at university, being very competent at calculus & linear algebrea will really come in handy as well as just good mathematical skills.

More practical skills such as data handling/management and coding in matlab or python will be nice tools that will make you better at dealing with projects and skills that will boost a future CV (although will be less necessary in year-1 of uni)
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
Maths & further maths. this will be your toolkit as an engineer at university, being very competent at calculus & linear algebrea will really come in handy as well as just good mathematical skills.

More practical skills such as data handling/management and coding in matlab or python will be nice tools that will make you better at dealing with projects and skills that will boost a future CV (although will be less necessary in year-1 of uni)

Thank you for the reply, I was planning to look into further maths after the exams so am glad that would be of use. But I'll defo need to keep my skills up the whole time so I don't have to relearn everything when I get to that point lol. Coding isn't something I have looked at yet, so thank you for the suggestion. I'll look into both :smile:
Original post by AdrKraft
Thank you for the reply, I was planning to look into further maths after the exams so am glad that would be of use. But I'll defo need to keep my skills up the whole time so I don't have to relearn everything when I get to that point lol. Coding isn't something I have looked at yet, so thank you for the suggestion. I'll look into both :smile:

If you look into coding, I would have been better using the term “modeling” you want to find tools that let you build & predict or understand a complex problem with lots of variables - hence matlab or python.

You can also use what are referred to as pictographic codes, such as “simulink” which are easier to understand and get started with if you don’t have deep experience on computer modeling.

Quick Reply

Latest