The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Application Response Time

I applied for MEng in Aero Mechanical at Strathclyde in October. I got 5 As in my highers at the end of 5th year and currently in 6th year. I haven't received any offer yet from Strathclyde but have from other universities. When does Strathclyde normally make offers? Also as I already meet minimum entry requirements, should I expect an unconditional offer?
Original post by Anonymous #1
I applied for MEng in Aero Mechanical at Strathclyde in October. I got 5 As in my highers at the end of 5th year and currently in 6th year. I haven't received any offer yet from Strathclyde but have from other universities. When does Strathclyde normally make offers? Also as I already meet minimum entry requirements, should I expect an unconditional offer?

I’d say that’s the most sought after Engineering course at Strath so the entry requirement will be a lot higher than the minimum.
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Hey Anon! Well done on your grades from S5, you've done really well 🙂 Did you achieve your Maths & Physics last year? Are you sitting any AHs this year? They can be good for keeping up your knowledge and challenging yourself further in S6.

Our departments make offers in different ways - sometimes they will start to make offers prior to the January deadline and sometimes they will wait until after the equal consideration deadline. Unfortunately there's no one date I can say for definite that you'd hear back from us. We process lots of applications each year and often this is done over a period of time. Generally speaking we aim to have the majority of offers out by March/April roughly at the latest (often it's much sooner), and until you hear otherwise you're still being considered for a place on the course. I'm not able to say what the outcome will be either given how competitive the course can be, but if you have the right subjects at the right level then we'd be happy to consider you.

Hope this helps a bit. Please do let me know how you get on when you hear back!

Caitlin 🎓️
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 3
If you have an offer from Russell Group unis, I would say that it should be Strathclyde the one worrying about loosing a good quality candidate.
Reply 4
Hi. Thanks for replying. A's in Highers at end of S5 for Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computing Science and English. Currently studying AH Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I already have offers for Herriot Watt and Glasgow, so hopefully hear from Strathclyde soon, as preferred option.
Hi. Thanks for replying. A's in Highers at end of S5 for Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computing Science and English. Currently studying AH Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I already have offers for Herriot Watt and Glasgow, so hopefully hear from Strathclyde soon, as preferred option.

Great, that sounds like you've got a good combination of subjects and further study too 🙂 I know it can feel daunting waiting but until you hear otherwise our admissions teams will still be considering you. I'll keep my fingers crossed you hear back soon! In the meantime if you're doing your AH Physics and Maths and enjoying them then that'll be good preparation for studying Engineering at uni.

Good luck!

Caitlin 🎓️
Reply 6
Hang on in there! I am in my 2nd year MENG Mech engineering at Strathclyde and if I remember correctly I didnt get my offer until around 10th March, so you might have a wait yet! Friends who went into aero Mech were around the same time too.I had 5As in S5 and got unconditionals from Glasgow, Edinburgh, Strathclyde, but my offers were contexual due to poor performaning school.Keep up the AH Maths and Physics even if you dont need them as they really help in 1st year as a lot is very similar, and you can focus on the student union and making friends instead 😉Good luck! Even if you dont get in you have a couple of great back ups.
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Great, that sounds like you've got a good combination of subjects and further study too 🙂 I know it can feel daunting waiting but until you hear otherwise our admissions teams will still be considering you. I'll keep my fingers crossed you hear back soon! In the meantime if you're doing your AH Physics and Maths and enjoying them then that'll be good preparation for studying Engineering at uni.

Good luck!

Caitlin 🎓️

Hi, I've applied for the Masters in Mechanical engineering, and it has an interview and I still haven't heard anything. I got 3As and 2Bs at higher due to extenuating circumstances but I'm predicted 3As in Maths, Physics and Mechanics. I know it's a long shot but I was wondering if it's a bad sign I haven't got an interview yet or if I'm just overthinking it. Could you possibly tell me when interviews are normally given for this course. Thanks so much
Original post by MaybeSuccessful
Hi, I've applied for the Masters in Mechanical engineering, and it has an interview and I still haven't heard anything. I got 3As and 2Bs at higher due to extenuating circumstances but I'm predicted 3As in Maths, Physics and Mechanics. I know it's a long shot but I was wondering if it's a bad sign I haven't got an interview yet or if I'm just overthinking it. Could you possibly tell me when interviews are normally given for this course. Thanks so much

Hi @MaybeSuccessful 🙂 As far as I'm aware we don't interview for admissions to the MEng Mech Eng programme - can you let me know where you heard that? Normally we hold applicant events which generally take place in March/April where offer holders would be invited to come along and meet the department. I'd say it's not a bad sign you're still waiting right now, it's still before the UCAS deadline and Engineering is one of our most popular areas of study so we'll have lots of applications to go through. Until you hear otherwise you're still being considered.

Caitlin 🎓️
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hi @MaybeSuccessful 🙂 As far as I'm aware we don't interview for admissions to the MEng Mech Eng programme - can you let me know where you heard that? Normally we hold applicant events which generally take place in March/April where offer holders would be invited to come along and meet the department. I'd say it's not a bad sign you're still waiting right now, it's still before the UCAS deadline and Engineering is one of our most popular areas of study so we'll have lots of applications to go through. Until you hear otherwise you're still being considered.

Caitlin 🎓️

Oh sorry I must have confused the applicant events for interviews. Thank you so much for getting back to me this is really helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending