The Student Room Group

Rose Bruford College vs. Drama Studio London

Hi all, I'm an international student applying for 2023 MA/MFA Acting programs and have received a few offers so far. I am struggling to decide between Rose Bruford's MFA Actor and Performer Training or DSL's MA in Professional Acting. Does anyone have any suggestions or study experience of the two schools? Or maybe just the general impression of these schools? Thank you so much!!

(My main interest is stage acting, both classical and contemporary, but, at the same time, I hope to get some basic screen acting training.)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by alinachou
Hi all, I'm an international student applying for 2023 MA/MFA Acting programs and have received a few offers so far. I am struggling to decide between Rose Bruford's MFA Actor and Performer Training or DSL's MA in Professional Acting. Does anyone have any suggestions or study experience of the two schools? Or maybe just the general impression of these schools? Thank you so much!!

(My main interest is stage acting, both classical and contemporary, but, at the same time, I hope to get some basic screen acting training.)

Hi! I have an offer from Drama Studio for the BA in Professional Acting and hopefully also an offer for the BA in Acting and Actor Musicianship from Rose Bruford (I had both last round auditions last week). From the auditions alone they are both very welcoming schools but for me personally Bruford has the upper hand in terms of resources. I also did the Foundation at Bruford so I suppose I'm a little biased, but the Sidcup campus is absolutely beautiful. The DSL campus however is quite small, even though it is a lovely part of Ealing. Bruford has the industry standard in pretty much everything. The theatre is gorgeous but most importantly they have lots of other courses in production such as stage management and design and when a production is put on all the students from lots of different areas of theatre making come together. If I am given the choice to choose Bruford over DSL, I will. Probably the biggest reason is because DSL only does acting courses and for me I worry that the actors would have to do all the production for a show and that doesn't really feel like industry standard for me. Hope that helps! (Also if anyone who has experience at DSL sees this, feel free to let me know if I'm totally wrong about this lol)
Reply 2
Thank you so much for the reply!! That is so detailed! My actor teacher also highly recommends Rose Bruford because of its theatre and facilities. I'm actually making my final decision and am tipping the scales in favor of Rose Bruford.

How did your audition go? Fingers crossed you get an offer from Rose Bruford!!
Original post by millydrinkwater
Hi! I have an offer from Drama Studio for the BA in Professional Acting and hopefully also an offer for the BA in Acting and Actor Musicianship from Rose Bruford (I had both last round auditions last week). From the auditions alone they are both very welcoming schools but for me personally Bruford has the upper hand in terms of resources. I also did the Foundation at Bruford so I suppose I'm a little biased, but the Sidcup campus is absolutely beautiful. The DSL campus however is quite small, even though it is a lovely part of Ealing. Bruford has the industry standard in pretty much everything. The theatre is gorgeous but most importantly they have lots of other courses in production such as stage management and design and when a production is put on all the students from lots of different areas of theatre making come together. If I am given the choice to choose Bruford over DSL, I will. Probably the biggest reason is because DSL only does acting courses and for me I worry that the actors would have to do all the production for a show and that doesn't really feel like industry standard for me. Hope that helps! (Also if anyone who has experience at DSL sees this, feel free to let me know if I'm totally wrong about this lol)
Thank you so much for the reply!! That is so detailed! My actor teacher also highly recommends Rose Bruford because of its theatre and facilities. I'm actually making my final decision and am tipping the scales in favor of Rose Bruford.

How did your audition go? Fingers crossed you get an offer from Rose Bruford!!

Hia! No problem! I have an offer from Rose Bruford for the Actor Musicianship and I'm waiting to hear back for the straight acting course still :smile: So happy to be going to Bruford after all! I went to the Actor Muso 3rd year production in Greenwich theatre which was absolutely fantastic! Really set it in stone for me that that was the school I wanted to go to. Even just the chance of performing in a theatre I absolutely adore is so exciting for me. Hopefully I'll see you around on campus if you do make the decision to go to Bruford!
Hia! No problem! I have an offer from Rose Bruford for the Actor Musicianship and I'm waiting to hear back for the straight acting course still :smile: So happy to be going to Bruford after all! I went to the Actor Muso 3rd year production in Greenwich theatre which was absolutely fantastic! Really set it in stone for me that that was the school I wanted to go to. Even just the chance of performing in a theatre I absolutely adore is so exciting for me. Hopefully I'll see you around on campus if you do make the decision to go to Bruford!

But my auditions went so well! Especially the straight acting audition. I also got interviewed at the end which I've heard can be a really good thing. From people I've spoken to, pretty much everyone who gets interviewed gets a place so fingers crossed! There's also way more places on the straight acting course than the actor muso so it's looking good!
Hi! My friend was offered Bruford and DSL for the BA Acting courses and went with DSL in the end as she felt more suited to that school. I'd say go with your gut and what resonates with you. My friend is loving her time at DSL
But my auditions went so well! Especially the straight acting audition. I also got interviewed at the end which I've heard can be a really good thing. From people I've spoken to, pretty much everyone who gets interviewed gets a place so fingers crossed! There's also way more places on the straight acting course than the actor muso so it's looking good!

Hi :smile: at my final round last year only a small handful got an interview. I think it was about 6 people and 3 got onto the course and 3 didn't. But about 10 from my group who weren't interviewed got a place too! So fingers crossed for you
Reply 7
I got a spot in BA acting at Bruford, see you there!!! :smile:
Reply 8

Awww! I’m so glad your straight acting audition went well!! Are you now in the Acting program or are you still going to take the Actor Musicianship?

I have made my deposit to the Rose Bruford, while waiting for Old Vic’s response (still on the shortlist😭).But I hope we could meet up on campus and go watch some theatre shows together if we both end up going to Rose Bruford!!
Reply 9
Original post by Anonr2005
Hi! My friend was offered Bruford and DSL for the BA Acting courses and went with DSL in the end as she felt more suited to that school. I'd say go with your gut and what resonates with you. My friend is loving her time at DSL

Thank you! I'm so glad your friend enjoys her time at DSL💗! I made my deposit to Rose Bruford weeks ago, after considering the audition experience😄. They both offer exciting courses tho!
Reply 10
Original post by Yunababy
I got a spot in BA acting at Bruford, see you there!!! :smile:

Congrats!!! Hope to see you around on campus if I end up going to Bruford, too! It feels like there are so many exciting things to do and places to visit!
Awww! I’m so glad your straight acting audition went well!! Are you now in the Acting program or are you still going to take the Actor Musicianship?

I have made my deposit to the Rose Bruford, while waiting for Old Vic’s response (still on the shortlist😭).But I hope we could meet up on campus and go watch some theatre shows together if we both end up going to Rose Bruford!!

I’m doing the Actor Musicianship! And yes! My insta is @millyrdrinkwater if you wanna connect :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending