The Student Room Group

Apprenticeship vs university

so basically i'm a second year computer science in lsbu so my mum's friend came and told me that the company she works in provide an apprenticeship in IT, what do you recommend me to do i know it should be based on my interest and my career goals but i really can't decide what to do please can someone help me
Reply 1
Original post by shybutterfly
so basically i'm a second year computer science in lsbu so my mum's friend came and told me that the company she works in provide an apprenticeship in IT, what do you recommend me to do i know it should be based on my interest and my career goals but i really can't decide what to do please can someone help me

Apply for the apprenticeship if you're considering it even a little bit. An application is not a commitment!
Also spend some time thinking about what you want from your career. If you are interested in keeping your options open and post grad education (especially research) then stick with uni but if you want to start your career, know what you want and are eager to climb the corporate ladder, as they say, then go for the apprenticeship.

Just be ware if you leave uni you will have to start repaying your loan straightaway. Don't let this be a big factor in your decision but keep it in mind and don't forget to contact SLC.
Reply 2
Original post by Andi.0k
Apply for the apprenticeship if you're considering it even a little bit. An application is not a commitment!
Also spend some time thinking about what you want from your career. If you are interested in keeping your options open and post grad education (especially research) then stick with uni but if you want to start your career, know what you want and are eager to climb the corporate ladder, as they say, then go for the apprenticeship.

Just be ware if you leave uni you will have to start repaying your loan straightaway. Don't let this be a big factor in your decision but keep it in mind and don't forget to contact SLC.

i can't decide because of course IT and CS aren't the same, so i feel so lost and confused
Reply 3
Having started your degree, particularly if you are enjoying it, I would stick with the route you’re on
Reply 4
Original post by shybutterfly
i can't decide because of course IT and CS aren't the same, so i feel so lost and confused

Yeah true they aren't the same. Idk much about either tbh but isn't cs better for software development?
What is the most important to you?
Why did you go to university in the first place?

Also why don't you talk to your mum about it if you're comfortable. She might know more about the apprenticeship as it's her friend.
You've got a year of your degree left, better off completing it and asking if you can do an internship with the company instead. From what it sounds like you'd just be an IT technician? Or is it a degree apprenticeship. Either way I recommend sticking with your current degree
Reply 6
Original post by Andi.0k
Yeah true they aren't the same. Idk much about either tbh but isn't cs better for software development?
What is the most important to you?
Why did you go to university in the first place?

Also why don't you talk to your mum about it if you're comfortable. She might know more about the apprenticeship as it's her friend.

well i did talked to my mum and she doesn't know she wants me to decide it myself but because i'm very picky and really confusing in my choices i will be choosing this today and then tomorrow it will be other thing and my mum never studied here so she doesn't really know how is it like in uni and in apprenticeship
Reply 7
Original post by user8937264980
You've got a year of your degree left, better off completing it and asking if you can do an internship with the company instead. From what it sounds like you'd just be an IT technician? Or is it a degree apprenticeship. Either way I recommend sticking with your current degree

thank you so much i think the internship is a great idea i will defiantly ask about it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending