The Student Room Group

marketing apprenticeship vs uni

Hi! i am currently in year 13 and wanted to ask for help about what to do after. i study chem bio and psych but i think i want to marketing. im on Bs so couldn't get into the best uni but im not sure if i should go to uni or try and get an apprenticeship. Which one would i progress faster in or which is the smarter decision ahhh please help...
Hi,

I hope you’re well.

It's great to hear that you're considering your options for the future. Both university and apprenticeships have their benefits. With a university degree, like my MSc in Digital Marketing, you can dive deep into the industry's theories and gain access to valuable resources and networks. Whereas apprenticeships offer hands-on experience and a direct route into the workplace. It depends on your learning style and career goals and whether you would like to experience university or not which was a factor for me as I wanted to experience the independence of living away from home. Another thing to consider is your financial situation too.

Take some time to weigh your options, and look at university courses, and apprenticeships!

Best wishes,

Paige- UoC Digital Marketing MSc student
Original post by laylawright
Hi! i am currently in year 13 and wanted to ask for help about what to do after. i study chem bio and psych but i think i want to marketing. im on Bs so couldn't get into the best uni but im not sure if i should go to uni or try and get an apprenticeship. Which one would i progress faster in or which is the smarter decision ahhh please help...

Have you applied to any yet?
Reply 3
Original post by Husssssss
Have you applied to any yet?

I've applied to around ten apprenticeships and still applying for more, im just waiting for responses really. the furthest ive got was amazons one, they rejected me before the assessment centre but apart from that the process is sooooo long so idk if i should just wait it out or send my ucas application. But i also feel like im being too picky where i want to work/ go to uni. Have you?
Reply 4
Original post by Chester Student
Hi,
I hope you’re well.
It's great to hear that you're considering your options for the future. Both university and apprenticeships have their benefits. With a university degree, like my MSc in Digital Marketing, you can dive deep into the industry's theories and gain access to valuable resources and networks. Whereas apprenticeships offer hands-on experience and a direct route into the workplace. It depends on your learning style and career goals and whether you would like to experience university or not which was a factor for me as I wanted to experience the independence of living away from home. Another thing to consider is your financial situation too.
Take some time to weigh your options, and look at university courses, and apprenticeships!
Best wishes,

Hey! thank you so much for your response! i feel like i would suit an apprenticeship more which is why i kinda put uni aside in my head but now im really not sure. Now reconsidering uni i think ill either love it sm or absolutely hate it so im not sure if i should risk it. i think im just struggling to make the best decision and im not sure what to do. i feel like im not ready to completely grow up yet and i want to go to uni to kind of bridge the transition in becoming an adult but... is that worth the nine k a year if ill be in the same position if i complete an apprenticeship?
would you say i would be in a similar place now, compared to when i leave uni, in terms of finding a job and progressing in that position. Do you think a degree would be more advantageous? or all the years of work experience i would have at the same age if i complete an apprenticeship. Thank u so much!!
Original post by laylawright
Hey! thank you so much for your response! i feel like i would suit an apprenticeship more which is why i kinda put uni aside in my head but now im really not sure. Now reconsidering uni i think ill either love it sm or absolutely hate it so im not sure if i should risk it. i think im just struggling to make the best decision and im not sure what to do. i feel like im not ready to completely grow up yet and i want to go to uni to kind of bridge the transition in becoming an adult but... is that worth the nine k a year if ill be in the same position if i complete an apprenticeship?
would you say i would be in a similar place now, compared to when i leave uni, in terms of finding a job and progressing in that position. Do you think a degree would be more advantageous? or all the years of work experience i would have at the same age if i complete an apprenticeship. Thank u so much!!

Hi!
I can see that you’re struggling to decide and that's completely normal when it comes to making big decisions like these. It's great that you're considering both options carefully!

It’s important to note that there might not necessarily be a right or wrong answer. Whether you choose to pursue a degree, or an apprenticeship depends on so many factors, including your career goals, learning style, and personal preferences, as well as your financial position.

If you feel like you would suit an apprenticeship more, that's definitely worth exploring further. I suggest that you look into what apprenticeships are available to see if they suit your needs better and then do the same with a degree.

In terms of job prospects, it's difficult to give a direct answer. While having a degree can open doors and may be advantageous and sometimes required in some fields, practical experience gained through an apprenticeship is highly valued by many employers as you will gain a lot of necessary skills. Ultimately, it's about what you would prefer to do, especially as you mentioned you feel you are more suited to an apprenticeship.

I would recommend exploring both options further, perhaps by researching potential apprenticeship programmes and university courses that align with your interests and career goals. Additionally, consider reaching out to professionals in your field for advice and insight into their own career paths, you could do this through LinkedIn, or your school/college or even friends and family.

Remember, whichever path you choose, it's not necessarily a lifelong commitment. You can always make changes as you grow and gain more experience. Don't hesitate to seek guidance from teachers, or career advisers and family and friends along the way.

Good luck with your decision!

Best wishes,
Reply 6
Original post by Chester Student
Hi!
I can see that you’re struggling to decide and that's completely normal when it comes to making big decisions like these. It's great that you're considering both options carefully!
It’s important to note that there might not necessarily be a right or wrong answer. Whether you choose to pursue a degree, or an apprenticeship depends on so many factors, including your career goals, learning style, and personal preferences, as well as your financial position.
If you feel like you would suit an apprenticeship more, that's definitely worth exploring further. I suggest that you look into what apprenticeships are available to see if they suit your needs better and then do the same with a degree.
In terms of job prospects, it's difficult to give a direct answer. While having a degree can open doors and may be advantageous and sometimes required in some fields, practical experience gained through an apprenticeship is highly valued by many employers as you will gain a lot of necessary skills. Ultimately, it's about what you would prefer to do, especially as you mentioned you feel you are more suited to an apprenticeship.
I would recommend exploring both options further, perhaps by researching potential apprenticeship programmes and university courses that align with your interests and career goals. Additionally, consider reaching out to professionals in your field for advice and insight into their own career paths, you could do this through LinkedIn, or your school/college or even friends and family.
Remember, whichever path you choose, it's not necessarily a lifelong commitment. You can always make changes as you grow and gain more experience. Don't hesitate to seek guidance from teachers, or career advisers and family and friends along the way.
Good luck with your decision!
Best wishes,

Thank you so much!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending