The Student Room Group

Best universities for undergrad electronic engineering?

Hello, I have been wondering what are the best universities for this subject area, if I want to focus on VLSI/ASIC design in the future, including both analog and digital. I am moslty looking at options in Europe. I have A*A*A predicted, and have looked at Oxbridge, KTH, ICL and UoE. Regarding Oxbridge, it seems like I can’t focus first two years so I am not sure if that would be best for me. Any opinions on these five universities, or if there are any better universities for this subject area?
Southampton and Bristol are probably also worth considering within the UK.

Not sure what uni you are referring to by "UoE" - there are at least three (probably more) UK unis which could use that acronym (and more considering international universities...).
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Southampton and Bristol are probably also worth considering within the UK.

Not sure what uni you are referring to by "UoE" - there are at least three (probably more) UK unis which could use that acronym (and more considering international universities...).

Thanks. Apologies about the UoE thing, by UoE I am referring to University of Edinburgh. Looking at Southampton, looks like their courses are quite good as well.
Original post by Ben
Thanks. Apologies about the UoE thing, by UoE I am referring to University of Edinburgh. Looking at Southampton, looks like their courses are quite good as well.

Yeah, Southampton are generally quite strong in the engineering areas, and as I recall have fairly extensive electronic engineering facilities. So well worth considering!

Manchester, Birmingham, and Leeds I believe are also generally well considered in the engineering fields, although I'm not sure how specifically electronic/electrical engineering is at those universities compared to other engineering fields. So they may also be worth a look at (and give you some options outside of the south!).

Quick Reply

Latest