The Student Room Group

TU Delft, Birmingham, Sheffield or Durham for an MSc in Engineering?

Hi guys,
I've received an admit from TU Delft for their MSc in Systems and Controls, from Birmingham for their MSc in Electronic and Computer Engineering, from Durham for their MSc in Electronic Engineering and from Sheffield for their MSc in Electronic and Electrical Engineering.
I want to work as an electronics engineer in mixed signal design and motor control.
I am stumped as to which one I should go for. What are your opinions?
Reply 1
I'd choose Delft without a doubt.
Original post by shaheansar123323
Hi guys,
I've received an admit from TU Delft for their MSc in Systems and Controls, from Birmingham for their MSc in Electronic and Computer Engineering, from Durham for their MSc in Electronic Engineering and from Sheffield for their MSc in Electronic and Electrical Engineering.
I want to work as an electronics engineer in mixed signal design and motor control.
I am stumped as to which one I should go for. What are your opinions?

Hey,
It is great that you have so many offers, they are all amazing choices, so wherever you decide I am sure you will be able to make the most of it. Sheffield has a fantastic engineering department, with modern state-of-the-art facilities (I am very jealous that I don't get to use them as a medic!) and good links with lots of companies. Sheffield is also a lovely city to live in, there is lots to do, with many independent shops and bars and loads of green spaces and parks. As a masters student you will still be able to make the most of the students union and societies - I ended up joining way more in my masters year than in my undergrad degree. There is also a portal where you can chat to current students - so you can ask them about how they are finding the masters course - https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/study/chat - other uni's should have this option too. Whatever happens I am sure you will have an amazing time, and if you have any questions about Sheffield in particular please feel free to ask!
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)
Original post by JMarlb
I'd choose Delft without a doubt.

Hi JMarib. Will I be able to work in the field of mixed signal and motor controller design with a degree in controls? That is my main concern otherwise I'd choose Delft in a heartbeat.
Thank you
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hey,
It is great that you have so many offers, they are all amazing choices, so wherever you decide I am sure you will be able to make the most of it. Sheffield has a fantastic engineering department, with modern state-of-the-art facilities (I am very jealous that I don't get to use them as a medic!) and good links with lots of companies. Sheffield is also a lovely city to live in, there is lots to do, with many independent shops and bars and loads of green spaces and parks. As a masters student you will still be able to make the most of the students union and societies - I ended up joining way more in my masters year than in my undergrad degree. There is also a portal where you can chat to current students - so you can ask them about how they are finding the masters course - https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/study/chat - other uni's should have this option too. Whatever happens I am sure you will have an amazing time, and if you have any questions about Sheffield in particular please feel free to ask!
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)

Hi Evie, that is excellent to know. I've been hearing about Sheffield's incredibly quality of life and great facilities a lot. I am a bit concerned about it being low on the league tables. Would that not be an issue for an MSc?
Reply 5
Hi JMarib. Will I be able to work in the field of mixed signal and motor controller design with a degree in controls? That is my main concern otherwise I'd choose Delft in a heartbeat.
Thank you

I am not sure, as I am only familiar with industrial engineering and maritime tech, but the TU is a very good research university, with lots of fantastic opportunities, and, for what is worth, Delft is much nicer than Sheffield.
Hi Evie, that is excellent to know. I've been hearing about Sheffield's incredibly quality of life and great facilities a lot. I am a bit concerned about it being low on the league tables. Would that not be an issue for an MSc?

Hey!
I never really looked at the league tables because for medicine and masters degrees they did not seem to be relevant. It depends what you want to go into but generally for a masters degree it is more important to get higher grades and have good links with the areas/companies that you might want to work with. I chose my masters because I knew it would give me good networking opportunities with other academics and the course included an additional teaching qualification. I guess it just depends what is important to you. I thought about going to another university for my masters, but I did not think I would find a community that was as good and I wanted to be in a nicer student area.
Evie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending