The Student Room Group

How to revise for maths using past papers

I am currently in year 10 and i'm trying to revise using past papers for maths but don't really know how to use them to revise. I just did a past paper and then marked which questions i got right and wrong. But im not sure what to do afterwards; I have tried to find out the topics i struggled on but i wasn't very successful in doing so. I also don't know what to do after i have found what topics i struggle in. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply 1
look for videos that go through working it out so you can understand the actual exam technique which you can apply to other questions and understanding the topic itself
Reply 2
Original post by catss
look for videos that go through working it out so you can understand the actual exam technique which you can apply to other questions and understanding the topic itself

Thanks for the help. correct me if im wrong but wouldn't a video only go through one question for a topic though?
Original post by CatSquid
I am currently in year 10 and i'm trying to revise using past papers for maths but don't really know how to use them to revise. I just did a past paper and then marked which questions i got right and wrong. But im not sure what to do afterwards; I have tried to find out the topics i struggled on but i wasn't very successful in doing so. I also don't know what to do after i have found what topics i struggle in. Any help would be appreciated.

When you find a topic you struggle on, as a poster above suggested, try find videos on it. TLMaths is great, but there are certainly others. Use that to get a basic understanding, try and cover different contexts for each question(Eg. if trig was a problem, try find a video on Pythag, one on cosine rule, etc - all the parts you struggled with). Then do as many questions as possible. Madasmaths is great for A-Level, not sure if there are any for GCSE? Imagine they're fairly easy to find though.

You can also try looking for model answers that give a better insight into where you went wrong/how to do the question. I think YorkshireMathsTutor or PMT are good for these.
Reply 4
Original post by AnotherStudent!
When you find a topic you struggle on, as a poster above suggested, try find videos on it. TLMaths is great, but there are certainly others. Use that to get a basic understanding, try and cover different contexts for each question(Eg. if trig was a problem, try find a video on Pythag, one on cosine rule, etc - all the parts you struggled with). Then do as many questions as possible. Madasmaths is great for A-Level, not sure if there are any for GCSE? Imagine they're fairly easy to find though.

You can also try looking for model answers that give a better insight into where you went wrong/how to do the question. I think YorkshireMathsTutor or PMT are good for these.

Thanks a ton for the advice. I'll be sure to try out what you said
Reply 5
Original post by CatSquid
Thanks for the help. correct me if im wrong but wouldn't a video only go through one question for a topic though?

search up paper year and exam board on youtube and usually theres someone going through it. ie 'edexcel alevel maths 2018 paper 1' or whatever
Reply 6
Original post by catss
search up paper year and exam board on youtube and usually theres someone going through it. ie 'edexcel alevel maths 2018 paper 1' or whatever

Oh ok thanks a lot for the help.

Quick Reply

Latest