The Student Room Group

Would i get into college with a failed gcse?

I am a year 11 student and i'm pretty sure i failed gcse maths higher this year. I completely blanked out for papers 1 and 2 and i'm not hopeful for paper 3. However, all my other grades are a predicted minimum 6 and i excel at everything else. I know at this point i am going to have to resit but i am afraid that the colleges/sixth forms i applied for won't take me in. I have conditional offers at places that ask for a 5 and a waiting list too. What would be my fate?
There will be colleges/sixth forms avaliable who take people in without any GCSE's, as you legally need to be in some form of education or work until you're 18. You can always take subjects that don't require GCSE's and resit GCSEs in Y12
Reply 2
Original post by Carrotsroom
There will be colleges/sixth forms avaliable who take people in without any GCSE's, as you legally need to be in some form of education or work until you're 18. You can always take subjects that don't require GCSE's and resit GCSEs in Y12

Does that mean i'll have to enter a bad school? Most of the schools i have applied for have good reputations. Will my one failed grade hinder all my other great grades?
Original post by lololetta2
Does that mean i'll have to enter a bad school? Most of the schools i have applied for have good reputations. Will my one failed grade hinder all my other great grades?

Not necessarily. You can always negotiate to be let in if the rest of your grades are good. There are also college courses that do not require a pass in maths.
Have a chat with your schools admissions officers and see what they can do.

Quick Reply

Latest