The Student Room Group

Help With Motivation

Hi Everyone,

I have a lot of things on my plate at the moment, (I'm Year 8 for Context). I'm self studying GCSE Computer Science, trying to start an online business, trying to workout more, and trying to get better at chess. I set myself goals and routines but I can never seem to stick to them. Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

You’re year 8 - that’s a lot. When I was year 8 all I did was play video games lol. Try to set yourself realistic goals, and maybe smaller ones that feel more achievable? Just make sure you give yourself time to do things you enjoy and to relax as well if you’re making routines, because that’ll make them easier to stick to.
Reply 2
Original post by Teribblestudent
You’re year 8 - that’s a lot. When I was year 8 all I did was play video games lol. Try to set yourself realistic goals, and maybe smaller ones that feel more achievable? Just make sure you give yourself time to do things you enjoy and to relax as well if you’re making routines, because that’ll make them easier to stick to.

Thanks for the advice, I'm just trying to get ahead whilst I still can.
I'm in year 11 but definitely in the same boat: working out, chess, CS, and I am trying to create a blog. i talked about how to motivate yourself last week. Check it out. It's called weekly wins and woes and its in the mental health section.
You could recommend matters you want discussed if you like. Also tell me about this business.
Reply 4
Original post by PiltoverQueen
I'm in year 11 but definitely in the same boat: working out, chess, CS, and I am trying to create a blog. i talked about how to motivate yourself last week. Check it out. It's called weekly wins and woes and its in the mental health section.
You could recommend matters you want discussed if you like. Also tell me about this business.

Nice to find someone with such similar interests! I'm trying to start an online marketing agency to help fund university.
Original post by EnigmaChess
Nice to find someone with such similar interests! I'm trying to start an online marketing agency to help fund university.

In Year 8?! That's a big task and very impressive. Go You!!
Have you ever heard of a platform called Mpower (https://mpowerfinancing.com/get-a-loan?utm_campaign=elle-search-branded-africacontrolRES&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnMWkBhDLARIsAHBOftoRcb5H2TNIS-LQBr-vHHPR90rsLXu0L56-yGtr8A9XFwCv8t6-_HEaAoIsEALw_wcB)

How are you starting this business? Why are you doing this?
Who is supporting you? Will your funding be provided to both international and local students?
Sorry. Just really interested in all this stuff. My mom runs an agency that helps Africans get into schools internationally. Her business' main focus is actually Europe right now. You're from the UK, right?
Reply 6
In Year 8?! That's a big task and very impressive. Go You!!
Have you ever heard of a platform called Mpower (https://mpowerfinancing.com/get-a-loan?utm_campaign=elle-search-branded-africacontrolRES&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnMWkBhDLARIsAHBOftoRcb5H2TNIS-LQBr-vHHPR90rsLXu0L56-yGtr8A9XFwCv8t6-_HEaAoIsEALw_wcB)

How are you starting this business? Why are you doing this?
Who is supporting you? Will your funding be provided to both international and local students?
Sorry. Just really interested in all this stuff. My mom runs an agency that helps Africans get into schools internationally. Her business' main focus is actually Europe right now. You're from the UK, right?

I'm just contacting local businesses and offering middle man marketing and outreach services currently. I'm doing this to get ahead whilst I have time and to take risks when I have no financial responsibility, eg I can use my savings to invest in my business without having to worry about bills or the mortgage. Sorry if I confused you by the way, when I said I was starting an agency to help fund university, it was me starting an agency to fund my tuition, sorry that wasn't very clear lol. Your mum's agency sounds very interesting. I'm from the UK, what about you?
LOL!!:biggrin:
I really thought that you were creating a business to financially support University students.
It's cool that you're finding ways to fund your own tuition. I'm doing that too in a way with my blog. I'm trying to create exposure for myself and to show my skill and interests for Universities. I plan to launch an official blog in October. Right now I'm still learning just how to do that while building a following for myself and also my confidence in blogging.

Yeah it is. She's helped a ton of people get into good schools on good deals.
I'm from Uganda.
Reply 8
LOL!!:biggrin:
I really thought that you were creating a business to financially support University students.
It's cool that you're finding ways to fund your own tuition. I'm doing that too in a way with my blog. I'm trying to create exposure for myself and to show my skill and interests for Universities. I plan to launch an official blog in October. Right now I'm still learning just how to do that while building a following for myself and also my confidence in blogging.

Yeah it is. She's helped a ton of people get into good schools on good deals.
I'm from Uganda.

I mean it's not a bad idea. I might look into it.

Definitely, a blog would definitely help with your application. What unis are you looking at?

By the way, if you need a website to host a blog on, let me know, I build websites :smile:
I mean it's not a bad idea. I might look into it.

Definitely, a blog would definitely help with your application. What unis are you looking at?

By the way, if you need a website to host a blog on, let me know, I build websites :smile:

I'm currently interested in Hamburg Medical Uni in Germany but I'm also considering somethin in CS.
That would be great. I was considering using WordPress, but if I can get a website somewhere else I'm definitely in!
Could I see some of your other works?
BTW, how long have you been coding for? I only just started earlier this month.
Reply 10
I'm currently interested in Hamburg Medical Uni in Germany but I'm also considering somethin in CS.
That would be great. I was considering using WordPress, but if I can get a website somewhere else I'm definitely in!
Could I see some of your other works?
BTW, how long have you been coding for? I only just started earlier this month.

Ooo Hamburg sounds nice. I've always loved the idea of Cambridge.

WordPress is outdated, I wouldn't use it. This is a website I made a little while ago for an independent wind turbine company: www.futurewindturbines.com.

I've been coding for a little while. I've loved using Scratch since I was 7, recently I'm looking at FullStack web development so HTML, CSS and Javascript, and also Python for GCSE Computer Science.
Ooo Hamburg sounds nice. I've always loved the idea of Cambridge.

WordPress is outdated, I wouldn't use it. This is a website I made a little while ago for an independent wind turbine company: www.futurewindturbines.com.

I've been coding for a little while. I've loved using Scratch since I was 7, recently I'm looking at FullStack web development so HTML, CSS and Javascript, and also Python for GCSE Computer Science.

That's so cool! I plan to take a full stack develpoment course later this year!
https://practice.geeksforgeeks.org/batch/js-yt?tab=Chapters
You can check it out there if you like.
And wow! You site is awesome! Did you make that from scratch? You have got to teach me!!
Reply 12
That's so cool! I plan to take a full stack develpoment course later this year!
https://practice.geeksforgeeks.org/batch/js-yt?tab=Chapters
You can check it out there if you like.
And wow! You site is awesome! Did you make that from scratch? You have got to teach me!!

I used a web builder for that one a few months ago, and did a little customisation. However the stuff I am learning at the moment means I can build things like that from complete scratch. Here's my course, it's great: https://www.udemy.com/course/the-complete-web-development-bootcamp
That's really cool. But unlike you my friend, I don't have any personal savings. So I don't do paid courses *laughing emoji*
I still definitely plan on learning how to build a site from scratch though. I think it would be more impressive for me to create something on my own. It shows my skill.
Now, tell me. What did you use for the web hosting in that other site you made?
Reply 14
That's really cool. But unlike you my friend, I don't have any personal savings. So I don't do paid courses *laughing emoji*
I still definitely plan on learning how to build a site from scratch though. I think it would be more impressive for me to create something on my own. It shows my skill.
Now, tell me. What did you use for the web hosting in that other site you made?

I got the course on a very good deal a few months back. I think I paid like £5 for it (just after Christmas is the best time to buy courses). I used Wix. It's great.

By the way, it's not true at all that you need money to make money, at least not any more. Find something you're already doing, and find a way to monetize it. Make a mind map of your current skills, and think about how it could make money.
I got the course on a very good deal a few months back. I think I paid like £5 for it (just after Christmas is the best time to buy courses). I used Wix. It's great.

By the way, it's not true at all that you need money to make money, at least not any more. Find something you're already doing, and find a way to monetize it. Make a mind map of your current skills, and think about how it could make money.

Yeah, I know. That's why I'm creating a blog on teen mental health. Once I'm ready for the next step, I'll make a more official blog and after a while I'll start to monetize it. In the mean time I just want to take my baby steps with this and enjoy the process
Reply 16
Yeah, I know. That's why I'm creating a blog on teen mental health. Once I'm ready for the next step, I'll make a more official blog and after a while I'll start to monetize it. In the mean time I just want to take my baby steps with this and enjoy the process

It's a great idea, and really scaleable. Have you thought about starting a podcast?
It's a great idea, and really scaleable. Have you thought about starting a podcast?

Nope. Never. I'm good with my writing but still very shy when it comes to speaking. lol. I just want to keep things simple right now
Reply 18
Nope. Never. I'm good with my writing but still very shy when it comes to speaking. lol. I just want to keep things simple right now

Fair enough. I run my school's podcast.
Really? What do you discuss?

Quick Reply

Latest