The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOAS: Human Rights Law (MA)

Hello!

I recently received an offer from SOAS to pursue an MA in Human Rights Law. I wanted to ask whether those without a law background are in for a disadvantage in any regard? I have done my bachelor's in journalism and gained about two years of work experience. Although I find the curriculum extremely interesting and hope it would aid me in kickstarting my career in the social sector, I am concerned I might be considered underqualified when it comes to applying for paralegal roles in humanitarian/advocacy organisations.

I also wanted to ask any current students if you're satisfied with the academic resources available at the institution, and if you had any trouble picking the modules of your liking? My second option is pursuing a master's in criminology from Macquarie University, Sydney.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello!

I recently received an offer from SOAS to pursue an MA in Human Rights Law. I wanted to ask whether those without a law background are in for a disadvantage in any regard? I have done my bachelor's in journalism and gained about two years of work experience. Although I find the curriculum extremely interesting and hope it would aid me in kickstarting my career in the social sector, I am concerned I might be considered underqualified when it comes to applying for paralegal roles in humanitarian/advocacy organisations.

I also wanted to ask any current students if you're satisfied with the academic resources available at the institution, and if you had any trouble picking the modules of your liking? My second option is pursuing a master's in criminology from Macquarie University, Sydney.

Hey!
I'm studying an MA in Social Anthropology at SOAS, every course/department is different. If you end up not getting a satisfactory response from former law students on here I recommend you email the key staff for the MA Human Rights Law. You should be able to find their details near the bottom of the course information page.

I can't speak from personal experience about getting the right academic resources for Human Rights Law, but generally the library is well equipped and I know students studying Law here also like to use the Law library, UCL library and Senate house library etc (Because those libraries are all within the university of London you get access to them all you just have to sign up). So I do not think you would have too much of a problem accessing academic resources.

But I highly recommend you introduce yourself to the Key staff/Course convener and ask them about the suitability of the course for your current background.

Good Luck!

Monica (MA Social Anthropology)
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending