The Student Room Group

What schools in London offer Philosophy A-Level?

Hiya, I've been having a hard time finding a non-independent sixth form/college - preferably a college - that offers Philosophy as an AS or A-Level within London. It's a subject that I've always loved and I found the curriculum quite on par with my own interests and skill-set. So... does anyone have any good colleges to recommend.

I should add the other 3 subjects I would like to study at A-Level are Physics, Maths, and Further Maths with English Literature or Computer Science as reserves.

Please share your reasoning behind this, and be kind. Thank you.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
hey, i was in the same boat as in you last year. I don't think Philosophy is a subject that colleges tend to do but a regular state school with a 6 form that i study Philosophy at is in London
Original post by Mahzsn
hey, i was in the same boat as in you last year. I don't think Philosophy is a subject that colleges tend to do but a regular state school with a 6 form that i study Philosophy at is in London

That's good to know, which sixth form do you go to?
Reply 3
Original post by valerieisn'tdead
That's good to know, which sixth form do you go to?

UCL Academy
Original post by Mahzsn
UCL Academy

I've heard about the open classrooms in your school, would you say that they positively impact your learning? And if this isn't too personal to ask, I'd like to ask how you are enjoying UCL Academy. From the Ofsted report and average grade of the school, honestly, I was slightly put off.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 5
I've heard about the open classrooms in your school, would you say that they positively impact your learning? And if this isn't too personal to ask, I'd like to ask how you are enjoying UCL Academy. From the Ofsted report and average grade of the school, honestly, I was slightly put off.

I don't know the school but Ofsted says the Sixth Form provision is Good
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 6

completely valid concerns, tbh i was going to a dogshit college were everything was quite unserious and for what am i aiming for i knew that college wouldn't suffice hence why i went to UCL as there 6Form is quite strong but the ofsted report regarding the secondary school is quite fair if im being honest as those kids from younger years are quite insane. Now at the start i found the open classrooms confusing but there actually kinda cool personally its nice not always being boxed off but i wouldn't say its a major boast about the school.

in essence the 6Form is pretty decent- this is based off the subjects i do so could be diff for others- but its nothing remarkable just because it has UCL in name many believe it to be highly selective and whilst there are a **** ton of smart ppl there are loads of the regular a level students. If you were to come here and put your head down and work I'm sure you'd achieve the same results you'd hope to anywhere else.
Since i take philosophy i can tell you that both teachers are really good and for a subject that requires alot of abstract thinking id say a good teacher is required.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending