The Student Room Group

OASC - June

Hi all,

Anyone else preparing to attend OASC in June? Would be good to touch base with any other candidates.
Reply 1
Hi LegalOfficerRole!

I’ve received your PM but i’m not allowed to reply yet, can you PM your email or social media account? That way i’ll be able to reply 😁
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
I rarely post on TSR these days as my relevancy and knowledge of the current RAF and recruitment and selection processes fades daily. However, I do feel fairly confident in advising all candidates not to waste valuable time and energy on trying to identify fellow OASC attendees and make friends with them in advance. Although you will need to demonstrate that you are a people person and can get on with and relate to others under stressful situations, be under no illusion that you are likely in competition with your OASC colleagues for very limited places . Think The Apprentice. Concentrate on your own preparation and performance. No need to ask what other candidates are doing or feeling or how well prepared they are - what should matter to you is you. If you get into the RAF you will make lifelong friends and will share common memories and experiences, but leave the faux friendships out until that point. I have attended OASC at Biggin Hill and Cranwell so know what the pressures are and how intense it is. You haven’t got time to expend energy on making friends - selection is the one time you have to look after No1 . If you don’t believe me, read some of the books by SAS guys about their selection process. Different system obvs, but same rationale.
Reply 3
Original post by LegalOfficerRole
Hi all,

Anyone else preparing to attend OASC in June? Would be good to touch base with any other candidates.

Damn I just missed you! Mine's in September if you have any good advice! Do you know what time to arrive there the day before?
Reply 4
Original post by beddowesl
Damn I just missed you! Mine's in September if you have any good advice! Do you know what time to arrive there the day before?

Please read the security rules for this Forum and don't ask for details like this. You'll be given the info you need by your AFCO.
Reply 5
Original post by Surnia
Please read the security rules for this Forum and don't ask for details like this. You'll be given the info you need by your AFCO.

I thought that's what this website was all about - to chat with fellow people with the same mindset. Thinking outside the box basically. Nothing confidential was asked but thank you.
Reply 6
I thought that's what this website was all about - to chat with fellow people with the same mindset. Thinking outside the box basically. Nothing confidential was asked but thank you.

Did you look at the security rules? This is a public forum that anyone can read. If people put times on here, they are announcing when there will be a large contingent of military applicants in a certain location and making them a potential target.
Reply 7
No I haven’t - I’ve been too busy studying for my upcoming OASC I’m afraid.. very important you know. If I had the time I would. I appreciate your concerns though so thank you ever so much.

Original post by Surnia
Did you look at the security rules? This is a public forum that anyone can read. If people put times on here, they are announcing when there will be a large contingent of military applicants in a certain location and making them a potential target.
Reply 8
No I haven’t - I’ve been too busy studying for my upcoming OASC I’m afraid.. very important you know. If I had the time I would. I appreciate your concerns though so thank you ever so much.

Being ex-RAF, and having done a tour as a Recruiter, I can say that the biggest threat to security in the military is the people associated with the military. It's frightening what some consider suitable to publish on social media. Nothing wrong with learning that lesson now.

Quick Reply

Latest