The Student Room Group

Uni Troubles

My grades for my 2nd Year are set to be released in August, but I know I have done badly, although I believe I haven't failed, which would be impossible because I didn't fail any of my 2nd Year units, but because my grades are inconsistent it is impossible to state a grade point average however I have predicted through my grades that I will receive a 2:2 at the end of the year, which is severely disappointing for myself, especially since in 1st Year I received a 2:1, my 1st Year grades do not count but it is significantly better than my 2nd year grades. My question is will I be able to graduate with a first degree if I start to get better grades in my 3rd Year?
Mathematically it’ll probably be possible, but without knowing your year 2 grades or the weighting of the years then it’s not possible to say how likely it is.
Original post by PoppinBottles
My grades for my 2nd Year are set to be released in August, but I know I have done badly, although I believe I haven't failed, which would be impossible because I didn't fail any of my 2nd Year units, but because my grades are inconsistent it is impossible to state a grade point average however I have predicted through my grades that I will receive a 2:2 at the end of the year, which is severely disappointing for myself, especially since in 1st Year I received a 2:1, my 1st Year grades do not count but it is significantly better than my 2nd year grades. My question is will I be able to graduate with a first degree if I start to get better grades in my 3rd Year?

Hey!
I understand that you are concerned about your grades for your second year of studies and the impact they may have on your overall degree classification. Firstly, it's important to remember that each university has its own specific regulations and policies regarding degree classifications. It would be best to consult with your university's academic advisor or student support services for the most accurate information tailored to your institution's guidelines.

In many cases, your final degree classification is based on your overall performance across all years of study, with more weight often given to the final year. While your second-year grades may be disappointing, it is encouraging to hear that you haven't failed any units. Consistency in passing your courses is a positive factor.

If you start to improve your grades in your third year and achieve better results, it can certainly have a positive impact on your overall degree classification. Typically, universities consider the grades from your final year to have more significance, as they reflect your most recent academic performance and demonstrate your progress and abilities.

However, I want to emphasize that the specific requirements for graduating with a first-degree vary among universities. Some institutions have specific grade thresholds or criteria for achieving a first-class degree, while others use a weighted average of all your years of study. Therefore, it is crucial to consult with your university's academic advisor or relevant department to understand the precise requirements and regulations.

Additionally, it's important to remember that your degree classification is not the sole determinant of your future success. Employers and graduate schools often take into account various factors such as relevant experience, extracurricular activities, and personal achievements alongside your academic performance.

I encourage you to reach out to your university's academic support services or academic advisor for personalized guidance. They can provide you with specific information regarding your university's regulations and offer advice on how to improve your academic performance in your final year.

Remember to stay motivated, seek support when needed, and make use of the resources available to you. I wish you the best of luck in your studies and your journey towards obtaining your degree.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending