The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Slight panic.... Southhampton

I fell in love with Southampton and applied for the msci biomedicine course for 2023. I want to go there more then any other uni I looked at, the layout, library and even sailing- I just finished my last biology exam and although I feel as if they went well a large part of me is terrified of not getting the grades to get in.
The msci requires AAB (reduced offer for EPQ) and the bsc requires ABB but I only applied for the msci. I know all summer in the back of my mind will be the fear I got something like ABB or even BBB- would the university offer the Bsc instead, is Southampton known for accepting lower then entry, I am aware they have been in clearing in the past but not so ure in recent years.. I am hoping I get the grades I worked my socks off for but I also fear my exam nerves got in the way.

I suppose I am asking for some reassurance from any past Southampton students or if there is anything I can do now until results day.
Thank you very much!
Original post by Anonymous
I fell in love with Southampton and applied for the msci biomedicine course for 2023. I want to go there more then any other uni I looked at, the layout, library and even sailing- I just finished my last biology exam and although I feel as if they went well a large part of me is terrified of not getting the grades to get in.
The msci requires AAB (reduced offer for EPQ) and the bsc requires ABB but I only applied for the msci. I know all summer in the back of my mind will be the fear I got something like ABB or even BBB- would the university offer the Bsc instead, is Southampton known for accepting lower then entry, I am aware they have been in clearing in the past but not so ure in recent years.. I am hoping I get the grades I worked my socks off for but I also fear my exam nerves got in the way.

I suppose I am asking for some reassurance from any past Southampton students or if there is anything I can do now until results day.
Thank you very much!

Im having the same exact dilemma. Last time I asked if Southampton would be more lenient this year and allow lower grades since were going back to harsher boundaries, I got told by someone in the Southampton applicant thread: "Don't even entertain that thought, Get AAB no excuses".

It makes it worse that the Biology exams didn't go as well as I wanted them to considering how much work I put into them.

In my opinion, especially considering that Southampton has been in clearing for biomed before, they're more likely to be in clearing again this year. Since grading is going to be similar to 2019, by default everyone Is more likely to not do as well as 2022. But obviously they won't just leave spaces on the course empty so they'll accept and prioritise firm offer holders.

Generally I don't think you should stress out, whatever happens happens. It's normal that you feel worried because you just finished your exams, and of course with so much pressure when taking an exam afterwards you'll feel as if it wasn't enough, but that's only because of the added pressure and our high standards.

I think we will be okay and good luck!
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by Pineapplesapples
Im having the same exact dilemma. Last time I asked if Southampton would be more lenient this year and allow lower grades since were going back to harsher boundaries, I got told by someone in the Southampton applicant thread: "Don't even entertain that thought, Get AAB no excuses".

It makes it worse that the Biology exams didn't go as well as I wanted them to considering how much work I put into them.

In my opinion, especially considering that Southampton has been in clearing for biomed before, they're more likely to be in clearing again this year. Since grading is going to be similar to 2019, by default everyone Is more likely to not do as well as 2022. But obviously they won't just leave spaces on the course empty so they'll accept and prioritise firm offer holders.

Generally I don't think you should stress out, whatever happens happens. It's normal that you feel worried because you just finished your exams, and of course with so much pressure when taking an exam afterwards you'll feel as if it wasn't enough, but that's only because of the added pressure and our high standards.

Because of the reduction of high level grades compared to 2022 there is more likely to be more near misses so I wouldn't give up all hope of getting in if you think ur off by one or two grades
Reply 3
Thank you for responding to this you are so kind! It is really reassuring to hear that biomed often accepts lower. I know there is nothing we can do now and we just have to enjoy the summer, time will tell. I really wish you the best of luck in you results!!

Original post by Anonymous

Thank you very much!

Ultimately it's at the university's discretion and will depend on how many achieved their offers (and how many who had them as an insurance end up going to their firm choice!). It's really impossible to say at this point, especially as the last few years of application cycles have been so chaotic.

It's certainly not impossible, and bioscience courses tend to be somewhat undersubscribed anyway and not infrequently end up in clearing - and they may prefer a bird in hand over two in the brush when it comes to clearing. But as noted, it's always different every year depending on the cohort applying, and even more so the last few years!

Plus, it may be entirely a moot point as you might achieve your grades anyway. As hard as it may be, you really need to just accept the exams went however they went and just enjoy your free time after exams before results without thinking about it too much. As there's really nothing you can do to change anything, and all you can/need to really do is just prepare yourself to get up early on results day to get your results and have the mental fortitude to accept whatever they are and, if need be, jump on the phone and start ringing round on clearing (at Southampton or elsewhere!).
Reply 5

I GOT IN!!!! Did you??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending