The Student Room Group

Nat 5 Physics 2023

Hi

I’ve just done my nat 5 physics exam and I find it way harder than 2022. Somehow, I managed to finish the paper before the exam ends but I’m worried mainly how difficult some questions were.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Axiom123
Hi

I’ve just done my nat 5 physics exam and I find it way harder than 2022. Somehow, I managed to finish the paper before the exam ends but I’m worried mainly how difficult some questions were.

I got 76% on my prelim and have revised using the Sqa past papers. The questions on this exam where awful, some of them didn't even make sense. I don't understand why it was so different from pervious past papers. Both papers where bad. I can only give you confidence by saying that you aren't alone, it was a struggle, it was horrible.
Reply 2
Hi

i also found it super hard, and i was predicted an A for physics. i think the general response from most people was that it was really difficult, hopefully the grade boundaries are lowered by the sqa. also, if you want to see the papers again, mrsphysics has them on her website. i used them to roughly predict my grade :smile:
Hey,

I usually get around 80-95% in past papers but I thought the paper was quite tricky. The half life question type that was in it actually isn't in the course so I would predict the pass mark etc would be dropped for that. The drop the pass mark, A mark etc depending on how much of Scotland got the question right and only 1 student in my class I know got it - and he seen it in one old INT 2 paper. I thought the paper was worded (especially the multiple choice) unusually than usual. I had to read questions a few times to understand what they were wanting. The paper is up on the MRS Physics web page (got to past paper section). I dont know what they think the answer is for the diffraction question in the MC, both D and E are suitable as their wavelength remains the same distance. All the teachers I know have no idea about what THE SQA are thinking for that question because the question never stated if the gap size increased or decreased which would make it easier. But this will come up in markers meetings.

Hopefully this will result in generous marking
Hi

I seen that. Do you know if any teacher has completed the paper that I would be able to see?
Original post by citizenmati
i also found it super hard, and i was predicted an A for physics. i think the general response from most people was that it was really difficult, hopefully the grade boundaries are lowered by the sqa. also, if you want to see the papers again, mrsphysics has them on her website. i used them to roughly predict my grade :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Thomas Limpitlaw
I seen that. Do you know if any teacher has completed the paper that I would be able to see?

i haven't found anything yet, but i'll let you know if i do :smile:
Thank you
i haven't found anything yet, but i'll let you know if i do :smile:
Reply 7

Yes. I also struggled with time management somehow, I keep jumping from one question to the next and came back to the question that I find difficult, I had to rush before the exam ends. It’s awful and I should’ve just did it in order and check as I do the question instead of just leaving them out until the end. 😰
Reply 8
Yes. I also struggled with time management somehow, I keep jumping from one question to the next and came back to the question that I find difficult, I had to rush before the exam ends. It’s awful and I should’ve just did it in order and check as I do the question instead of just leaving them out until the end. 😰

that happened to me too!!! i had two minutes left and realised i still had an empty page 😭 i had to guess some of them. my time management was awful for some reason, i was in such a rush
Reply 9
that happened to me too!!! i had two minutes left and realised i still had an empty page 😭 i had to guess some of them. my time management was awful for some reason, i was in such a rush

Don’t worry, the SQA might lower the grade boundary and you are bot the only one who’s going through this, some people in my school struggled with that exam. 🙂
(edited 11 months ago)
Don’t worry, the SQA might lower the grade boundary and you are bot the only one who’s going through this, some people in my school struggled with that exam. 🙂

hopefully!!!! and i’m glad i’m not the only one :smile:
Reply 11
hopefully!!!! and i’m glad i’m not the only one :smile:

I usually get As on my tests and prelims. When the exam came I struggled a bit and I feel stressed.
I usually get As on my tests and prelims. When the exam came I struggled a bit and I feel stressed.

yeah i’m the same. do you still have any more exams to do? i’ve still got computing and art which i’m quite nervous for
Reply 13
yeah i’m the same. do you still have any more exams to do? i’ve still got computing and art which i’m quite nervous for

Only Art left
Only Art left

ooh that’s good, hope it goes well for you :smile:
Reply 15
ooh that’s good, hope it goes well for you :smile:

Thanks, and you too. :smile:
Reply 16
Do you think grade boundaries will be higher or lower this year? Since last year's was very low it was like 63/100 for an A or something, not really sure what the consensus is generally I'd say the paper was quite hard tbf, a disproportionate amount of questions on dynamics and waves especially
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by DZ007
Do you think grade boundaries will be higher or lower this year? Since last year's was very low it was like 63/100 for an A or something, not really sure what the consensus is generally I'd say the paper was quite hard tbf, a disproportionate amount of questions on dynamics and waves especially

i think lower, the majority of people said they found it difficult. the two guys next to me in the exam looked distraught. it would be super unfair if they raised the grade boundaries considering how hard it was.
Reply 18
i think lower, the majority of people said they found it difficult. the two guys next to me in the exam looked distraught. it would be super unfair if they raised the grade boundaries considering how hard it was.

Yeah very true, tried my best to remain confident but the first few multiple choice made me think this was not going to be an easy paper. My physics teachers seemed to say it was "easy" but I don't really know how to feel about it atm, Mrs physics did post both papers however no teachers or anyone has uploaded solutions, my best estimate is that I'll hopefully get a low A but you're absolutely right they asked a lot on dynamics and the way certain questions were worded was really strange, even for the SQA.
Original post by DZ007
Yeah very true, tried my best to remain confident but the first few multiple choice made me think this was not going to be an easy paper. My physics teachers seemed to say it was "easy" but I don't really know how to feel about it atm, Mrs physics did post both papers however no teachers or anyone has uploaded solutions, my best estimate is that I'll hopefully get a low A but you're absolutely right they asked a lot on dynamics and the way certain questions were worded was really strange, even for the SQA.

that was the same with me. i thought maybe it was just me finding it hard but i’m glad loads of other people agree. i might ask my physics teacher to go through it next time i’m in school, if i do i’ll let you know the answers :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending