The Student Room Group

N/A

….
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by bamsa
Im at the end of year 12, and just feeling a lot of uncertainty about a levels, uni, future etc. I just wish I had a clear idea about what I wanted to do. I sort of regret my a levels aswell. I’m doing well in them, I just keep wondering if i’ve made the right choice. I’ve been thinking about two options, and was wondering if anyone had any advice on them?

1. Restart year 12 with new a levels. This would give me a fresh start and more time to think about what I want to do. The cons of this are I don’t know how I’ll find the new subjects (could end up doing worse) or if it would impact my application to uni.

2. Take a gap year after completing a levels. I was thinking I could gain some experience, or even take up an a level if there’s a particular course that require a certain a level i don’t currently have (are unis ok with this?)

If I were to go forward with my a levels, I would still apply to uni this year, but if i’m not completely sure of the course/uni, this is where the gap year would come in.

Not sure if this makes sense, but would appreciate any advice!

Hi,
Not an expert, just a year 13, but here are my thoughts.
Firstly, almost everyone I know found it tough deciding whether to apply, where to apply, what to apply for. So don’t freak out - tons of people feel uncertainty, just in different amounts and ways. It’s probably good that you’re thinking about it now, rather than halfway through a uni course.

1. If this is what you want to do, then I don’t see the harm in trying. I don’t know whether it would affect your application - perhaps you could email a few universities to understand a general attitude? Personally, I’d like to think that a university would accept anyone that can make their grades, whether they repeated a year or not.

2. I cannot think of a single person I know who regretted taking a gap year. Just make sure to do something with it.

To be honest, I didn’t decide my course until mid-July of year 12, but some of my friends decided in the first term of year 13, and some even applied for several subjects across different unis and have only just made their decision. So keep thinking and keep being honest with yourself :smile:
Good luck xx
Reply 2
Firstly, its quite ok not to know what you want to do at year 12. Many people 20 years on still don't know what they want to do, either in life or in study! The best thing here is you know you are undecided and you can take your time making decisions. If you explore all of your options and then visualise yourself doing something then by the time you do choose you will probably have made the right choice for you. That matters. Do you love the subjects you have chosen? Was that your decision to study those subjects? Do you have any health issues that would hold you back?

Where are your basic interests - sciences, maths, humanities. Know what makes you tick and feel alive? If you are good at maths & sciences they will open virtually every occupational door going for you (even not so good grades) Your next year will be the tough one as the A level work cranks more to applying your fact based knowledge to new scenarios and theoretical circumstances. You have to love the subjects you are taking (or at least have a vested interest) Talk any decisions through with your tutors. That is so important to see what many other people think and know. Then trust your own judgement and make your own decisions. You need to take the responsibility for your own choices but try and keep your parents onside as you may need them at some stage. If it goes right great, and if it goes wrong - not the end of the world go to plan B or plan C etc

Why do you want to do year 12 again? What do you hope to achieve by doing this? What isn't right?

Sometimes Medicine or Vet school can be quite subject specific at the admission faculty, so if that is what you want to do get some advice and see if your grades are ok? A year out would have to be used productively for life experience preferably with animals or people, so it is still learning not festering and wasting your time. Use the medicine forum on this site if that is what you are thinking.

Anything else - It is vital you work as hard as you can to achieve maximum possible grades. At this age you should have no family commitments and can selfishly devote all of your time to your own needs. The mental pain is temporary and you can take your foot off the loud pedal a little when you get to Uni when you have arrived at the place you want to be.

Start thinking about the type of job you see yourself doing and working at in 5 to 6 years time down the line.

Outdoors/Indoors?
Predictable hours, or shift work (are you a night owl/lark?)
Work as part of a team or solo?
Do you like people? (or prefer animals)
Excitement and adrenaline/Extroversion?
Predictable work/Introversion?
Love Money / Love material goods/ Love human values?
Sports or sports psychology?
Rules based - armed forces (Navy, RAF, Army) border force, police?
Money services - people or IT based, Banking, Investment, Insurance, Housing
Engineering - construction planning & implementation
Cultural - Tourism, arts, history services, dance, theatre
Public Services - NHS, Dentistry, Local Council, Education, Housing, Transport
Teaching, Research,
Farming, Forestry work, Land based work
Utilities - Gas, Electric, Water
Mechanical - Electrical, Vehicular, Scientific
Reporter/Journalism - Local, National
Manufacturing - Production line, small business,
Food Production
Languages - translator, civil service, embassy work etc
Retail Management (shop floor work badly paid) / Hotel work

So then take a few courses that jump out at you and research what the Uni's usually want as grades and what they offer. Get out to the Uni's and talk to some of the students. Is it good to study here? What is campus life like? Do I get good vibes from this Uni? How many post grad students get employment? What are the fees? What is accommodation like? What are student services like?

Then research apprenticeships as an option - BT, Gas, Engine manufacturers, Aerospace, etc and ask yourself if you really need a degree.

Year 12 A levels are usually a good predictor of the end of year 13 results. Why give up or start again when you could double down your efforts and ace it at the end of another year.

Best of luck but don't agonise - just get on and do it. Good luck (& never waste a moment in this life - time can never be relived)
Original post by bamsa
Im at the end of year 12, and just feeling a lot of uncertainty about a levels, uni, future etc. I just wish I had a clear idea about what I wanted to do. I sort of regret my a levels aswell. I’m doing well in them, I just keep wondering if i’ve made the right choice. I’ve been thinking about two options, and was wondering if anyone had any advice on them?

1. Restart year 12 with new a levels. This would give me a fresh start and more time to think about what I want to do. The cons of this are I don’t know how I’ll find the new subjects (could end up doing worse) or if it would impact my application to uni.

2. Take a gap year after completing a levels. I was thinking I could gain some experience, or even take up an a level if there’s a particular course that require a certain a level i don’t currently have (are unis ok with this?)

If I were to go forward with my a levels, I would still apply to uni this year, but if i’m not completely sure of the course/uni, this is where the gap year would come in.

Not sure if this makes sense, but would appreciate any advice!

What A level subjects are you taking - you will get better advice about the degree you could study if you list them.

Some resources that might help you:

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/
Reply 4
Original post by bamsa
Thank you very much for the detailed response!!! I considered retaking the year as I’m not 100% certain on the subjects I have chosen, but then again, if I were to retake with new subjects, I might end up missing my old subjects!!! I also don’t want to waste this year as I am predicted 3A*s and have worked really hard this year. I would say I’m able in both maths/sciences and humanities, but naturally I gravitate more towards the arts- ideally I would love to work in the overlap between the two! I will keep thinking about it but try not to overthink too much. Thank you again for your advice :smile:

Whatever subjects you have worked so hard for - keep going and don't lose the momentum - then you have those subjects in the 'bag' and you can relax for a while or just take some more.

Consider what subjects you can keep as a 'core' for any Uni and career and what subjects you maybe love or have a passion for that you can keep as 'external' interests or train informally for alongside that career. Be realistic - many 'artistic' careers pay very little unless you are extremely gifted or get a break. It also matters what financial lifestyle you aspire to. If you get a job you love that pays well you can do both. No end of medics are also artists (the drawing type) or musicians (& play in bands) as a way to unwind.

Remember extended adult education is an option for the rest of your days. You can enrol in college or Uni at any age. Yes you can change career in the middle of your life or go back and study another subject when you choose. If you are determined enough to do something or pursue an interest there is usually a way to achieve that with the exception of age or health restrictions in certain careers (armed forces/medicine/police/border security)

Quick Reply

Latest