The Student Room Group

Applying for biological natural science at Cambridge without chemistry?

I am currently doing biology, physics, maths, and further maths at A level, but want to apply to do biological natural science at Cambridge. Do I need to have taken chemistry A level to be taken seriously? I know some colleges require it, but others don't specify
According the the website, 96% of successful applicants to Bio Nat Sci took chemistry. That suggests that whilst it’s not impossible for you to receive an offer without chemistry, it will probably significantly disadvantage your application.
Original post by Mittens43
According the the website, 96% of successful applicants to Bio Nat Sci took chemistry. That suggests that whilst it’s not impossible for you to receive an offer without chemistry, it will probably significantly disadvantage your application.

Hi there, I am in a very similar situation to the OP. Do you reckon the 96% is a correlation, or is there some causation involved? Because chemistry isn’t a requirement, so are they allowed to ‘discriminate’ against your application if you dont have it
Reply 3
Original post by undefined
Hi there, I am in a very similar situation to the OP. Do you reckon the 96% is a correlation, or is there some causation involved? Because chemistry isn’t a requirement, so are they allowed to ‘discriminate’ against your application if you dont have it

They can question why someone wouldn’t take chemistry if given the chance, as biological natural sciences has a significant quantity of associated chemistry.
They can question why someone wouldn’t take chemistry if given the chance, as biological natural sciences has a significant quantity of associated chemistry.

I submitted an FOI for data of applicants. In 2022 94% of successful applicants had chemistry. However 95% of the applicants had chemistry in the first place. This seems to suggest it was a correlation, not causation. Right??
Original post by Fermat42647
I submitted an FOI for data of applicants. In 2022 94% of successful applicants had chemistry. However 95% of the applicants had chemistry in the first place. This seems to suggest it was a correlation, not causation. Right??

Not necessarily. It could easily be the case that the 5% without chemistry only didn’t due to circumstances which prevented them from taking the A level.

Double maths physics bio would have a chance, but you’d need a good reason to have not taken chem.
Not necessarily. It could easily be the case that the 5% without chemistry only didn’t due to circumstances which prevented them from taking the A level.
Double maths physics bio would have a chance, but you’d need a good reason to have not taken chem.

In addition, those without Chemistry may have had stronger applications elsewhere. If they were the same standard as those with Chemistry without offering something to supplement it, many would have been discouraged from or not seen it as worth applying.

That's not to suggest it is the case, but just that the raw statistics cannot tell you whether something is a causation or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending