The Student Room Group
Library, University of East London
University of East London
London
Visit website

Podiatry at uel or brighton- 2023 sept

I got offers from both university of brighton and university of east London for podiatry. Which do you think is better in term of future prospects? Both university seem to have the same ranking but UEL is know as the "lowest ranked university in London" which puts me off a bit.
Hey, hope you've had a good week so far. :smile:

Congratulations on your offer!

With this course, they focus on the approach of 'learning by doing' which gives you access to practical experience from early on.

The 1000 hours of clinical practice you will achieve through working at our in-house clinic and at outside placements will make you highly employable on graduation.

In fact, 90 per cent of graduates end up in a clinical position within six months of graduating.

After graduating, you can also apply for full membership of the Royal College of Podiatry and registration with the Health and Care Professions Council.

More information about this course can be found here: BSc (Hons) Podiatry | University of East London (uel.ac.uk)

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask here.

Hope this helps!

-Samantha
(edited 10 months ago)
Library, University of East London
University of East London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
I have heard about the lack of safety in the location of Startford campus. Is that true? As I am an international student, safety is my utmost priority. Also, are there a healthy number of international student in this course?
Original post by University of East London
Hey, hope you've had a good week so far. :smile:

Congratulations on your offer!

With this course, they focus on the approach of 'learning by doing' which gives you access to practical experience from early on.

The 1000 hours of clinical practice you will achieve through working at our in-house clinic and at outside placements will make you highly employable on graduation.

In fact, 90 per cent of graduates end up in a clinical position within six months of graduating.

After graduating, you can also apply for full membership of the Royal College of Podiatry and registration with the Health and Care Professions Council.

More information about this course can be found here: BSc (Hons) Podiatry | University of East London (uel.ac.uk)

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask here.

Hope this helps!

-Samantha
Original post by Anonymous
I got offers from both university of brighton and university of east London for podiatry. Which do you think is better in term of future prospects? Both university seem to have the same ranking but UEL is know as the "lowest ranked university in London" which puts me off a bit.

Hi there! :h:

It’s great to hear you’re considering the Podiatry course at Brighton. This course is accredited by the Health and Care Professions Council and the Royal College of Podiatry. We are also in the top 20 for health professions courses (Guardian University Guide, 2023).

There is an increasing demand for podiatrists, which is in part due to an emphasis on health and fitness, an ageing population, and the role played by the profession in the care of people with chronic diseases such as diabetes.

Our graduates enjoy excellent employment prospects, typically securing roles in advanced practice, clinical teaching, research, education and training, and a variety of positions in the NHS and private sector.

You can find lots of information about training to be a podiatrist, career opportunities and life as a Brighton podiatry student on the More than Feet website.

You can also find out what our current students have to say about the course

I hope this is helpful, please free to get in touch if you need any further information, best of luck with your choice! :thumbsup:

Bex Brighton uni rep :nyan:
I have heard about the lack of safety in the location of Startford campus. Is that true? As I am an international student, safety is my utmost priority. Also, are there a healthy number of international student in this course?

Hi, hope you've had a good week!

Our Stratford campus is a safe campus. We have a dedicated security team to help maintain a safe and secure environment for students, staff and visitors and we provide a 24x7 service.
You can find out more info. about our Stratford campus here (things to do, what’s nearby and the campus facilities): Stratford campus | University of East London (uel.ac.uk)

Also we have a diverse makeup of UK and International students on our programme. Our campuses are home to people from all walks of life, who join us from all corners of the globe - our community is made up of students from 140 different countries.
About UEL | University of East London

-Samantha
Anon,

I am a podiatry student at the University of Huddersfield.

There is a shortage of podiatrists in the UK, which make podiatrists highly employable. With the option to work in the NHS or privately, there are definitely job opportunities wherever you study!

Brighton is well-known for podiatry, so that might be something to consider, but another thing to consider is that UEL has contacts and placements in London, so if you are thinking about working in London after you graduate that might be of use.

Consider the pros and cons for both.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 6
Original post by University of Huddersfield
Anon,

I am a podiatry student at the University of Huddersfield.

There is a shortage of podiatrists in the UK, which make podiatrists highly employable. With the option to work in the NHS or privately, there are definitely job opportunities wherever you study!

Brighton is well-known for podiatry, so that might be something to consider, but another thing to consider is that UEL has contacts and placements in London, so if you are thinking about working in London after you graduate that might be of use.

Consider the pros and cons for both.

All the best,

Heya thanks for responding! I have seen you around studentroom answering any misconceptions about podiatry! Thank you for that :smile: but also- I am very much interested in pursuing surgery after grad. Do you know of anyone who went into surgery or what are the possibilities? would it be better to DM u?
Heya thanks for responding! I have seen you around studentroom answering any misconceptions about podiatry! Thank you for that :smile: but also- I am very much interested in pursuing surgery after grad. Do you know of anyone who went into surgery or what are the possibilities? would it be better to DM u?

Thanks Anon!

I know someone who wants to pursue a career as a surgeon. They have just finished their Masters.

Perhaps you can DM your questions and I see if they can help?

Hi I was just wondering if Salford uni is a good place to study podiatry, as I’m going into my second year of collage and really interested in applying for podiatry in Salford. My second option would be Huddersfield uni as I’ve head that’s also good for podiatry, but just seeing if anyone can tell me abit more about the course it’s self.
Hi I was just wondering if Salford uni is a good place to study podiatry, as I’m going into my second year of collage and really interested in applying for podiatry in Salford. My second option would be Huddersfield uni as I’ve head that’s also good for podiatry, but just seeing if anyone can tell me abit more about the course it’s self.

Anon,

I can't tell you about Salford but I can tell you about Huddersfield : )!

During the first year, you grow your knowledge about the anatomy and physiology of the body. You learn about foot conditions and have the opportunity to treat patients in the university clinic where the focus is on key skills and maintaining health and safety.

During second year, you grow your medical knowledge further and learn about systemic conditions and how they affect the foot. You also learn about musculoskeletal conditions and the use of orthotic devices with the help of practical sessions and an orthotics lab onsite. You also begin to prepare for your research project for next year.

Third year involves more time on clinic, the research project and talks and assignments in preparation for working life.

Throughout the course your treating patients at the clinic onsite as well as doing external placements with clinics and hospitals. You learn the necessary skills to be a well-rounded podiatrist e.g. learning how to inject local anaesthetic into the big toe and learn in an environment where lecturers are passionate about their subject, have years of experience in the NHS and privately and where the majority hold or are doing doctorates. Teaching is to a high standard and lecturers are friendly and ready to help if there are any problems or questions.

Hope that helps,

Thank you that was helpful, I also wanted to ask about the exams as I’ve heard there quite difficult and when the exams will be for example in the first and second year. And another thing when I start on to the course is there a number of young students that also start or is it a mixture between older and younger students as I don’t want to be the only young one in the class.
Thank you that was helpful, I also wanted to ask about the exams as I’ve heard there quite difficult and when the exams will be for example in the first and second year. And another thing when I start on to the course is there a number of young students that also start or is it a mixture between older and younger students as I don’t want to be the only young one in the class.

Anon,

There is a lot of content, so it's good to have different revision techniques and to make the most of opportunities to practise with other students and to learn when treating patients. The exams are at the end of the first year.

In the second year, you do assessments throughout and have exams at the end of the year.

It's important to know what the assessment criteria is for the exam, particularly if it is practical, but you will have time to ask questions before the exams and to do mocks etc.

On my course, there is a mixture of ages from 18 year olds to middle age students. There is a more than a handful of people from each age bracket, so you would not be the only young person in the class.

Hope that helps,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending