The Student Room Group

N/A

….
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by bamsa
I’m in year 12, and really regret not taking (or at least trying) biology. The obvious option would be to restart year 12, but I’m not sure how I will find bio, and might end up doing worse (considering I am doing well in my current subjects). So I was thinking I could study it during a gap year (either privately or with my school if allowed). Has anyone taken up an extra a level during a gap year successfully? If I end up hating bio for some reason, would I be able to just stop doing it (in this case my gap year wouldn’t be wasted as I would still likely gain experience/a job)? And if I have to take it privately, how much would it cost roughly?

Or should I just retake the year? It would avoid having to spending more money/time especially as bio is a science so I’d have all the practicals. The only issue with this is it is super risky grade wise (I’d be less opposed if I was doing poorly rn) and I feel like a gap year would give me time to work on myself as I’m starting to feel drained (and if I stayed doing a levels for 3 years I would probably be exhausted).

Ps I will still be applying for uni this year, but if I don’t get an offer from somewhere I really want to go I will definitely take a gap year

Hi, could I ask why you regret not taking biology A level? You mention you are applying for university this year and if you don't need biology A level as a subject in order to apply for your chosen course then I would suggest you don't spend your gap year studying it. If you do need biology A level to get into university, and there is no option for a foundation year at university instead, you could study it and I would say since you are at the end of year 12 it may be better to retake the year but this might affect the subjects you are already studying since biology is very content heavy. In my opinion, I'd advise against studying biology privately as it can be costly and does not seem worth it in the long run if it is not needed for the course you're choosing to study. Try to look more into the experience you could gain through a gap year or into foundation years different universities offer as I believe these to be more valuable for you. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by bamsa
I’m in year 12, and really regret not taking (or at least trying) biology. The obvious option would be to restart year 12, but I’m not sure how I will find bio, and might end up doing worse (considering I am doing well in my current subjects). So I was thinking I could study it during a gap year (either privately or with my school if allowed). Has anyone taken up an extra a level during a gap year successfully? If I end up hating bio for some reason, would I be able to just stop doing it (in this case my gap year wouldn’t be wasted as I would still likely gain experience/a job)? And if I have to take it privately, how much would it cost roughly?

Or should I just retake the year? It would avoid having to spending more money/time especially as bio is a science so I’d have all the practicals. The only issue with this is it is super risky grade wise (I’d be less opposed if I was doing poorly rn) and I feel like a gap year would give me time to work on myself as I’m starting to feel drained (and if I stayed doing a levels for 3 years I would probably be exhausted).

Ps I will still be applying for uni this year, but if I don’t get an offer from somewhere I really want to go I will definitely take a gap year

For A level Biology it would be pretty expensive because you have to do the practical element, which would end up being around £1000 - 1200 including the accomodation, unless you can find a school that will help you do them. The school you were at for your last A levels would probably help you but you should check with them before you decide in case they can't. The exams will be like £300 - 400 and you'll have to do them at a school or somewhere. Everything else is pretty cheap like books and stuff. Overall it is quite expensive but I'd say its worth it if it lets you study what you want to do.

Quick Reply

Latest