The Student Room Group

University is a waste of time

A degree is useful and essential for certain professions, like dentistry, medicine and the sciences, but apart from those, university is pretty much a waste of time. And I've never understood the drinking and partying culture at universities - what's the point of it and why is it so common? Probably peer pressure and people thinking they're being clever.

And the reason people pursue masters degrees is because they can't get a proper job so stay at universities to study even more nonsensical academia.

People should get out into the world of work and learn how to pay the bills and gain experience, rather than studying for something just for the sake of getting a degree.
(edited 10 months ago)
This is such a massive generalisation, and one that people have made many times. There are so many more benefits to doing other degrees besides the ones you've listed, and it's rather dismissive and stupid to suggest that there's not.
Original post by TSR2003
A degree is useful and essential for certain professions, like dentistry, medicine and the sciences, but apart from those, university is pretty much a waste of time. And I've never understood the drinking and partying culture at universities - what's the point of it and why is it so common? Probably peer pressure and people thinking they're being clever.

And the reason people pursue masters degrees is because they can't get a proper job so stay at universities to study even more nonsensical academia.

People should get out into the world of work and learn how to pay the bills and gain experience, rather than studying for something just for the sake of getting a degree.

Maybe you should join mumsnet or some other forum focused on work then instead of hanging around The Student Room.
Original post by TSR2003

I mean to be honest if you had the mentality of going to university to obtain a 1st class degree or 2:1 knowing you had your head-down focused from the very first day, and felt confident about getting a 2:1 you leave with a 2:2 then I definitely think is a waste of time to be honest especially when others got what they want and you didn’t fractionally missing out by a slender 4%.
Original post by PQ
Maybe you should join mumsnet or some other forum focused on work then instead of hanging around The Student Room.

Good idea, I'll check that out. But I was simply making a point that so many young people go to university, and it's not often to enhance their employability.
Original post by TSR2003
Good idea, I'll check that out. But I was simply making a point that so many young people go to university, and it's not often to enhance their employability.

Yes, it is true that some students 'waste their time' by going to university (as in, they gain very little meaningful from it). However, to suggest that all students not pursuing a degree like medicine or dentistry are inherently wasting their time is wrong.
This is a bit like saying that learning to drive is a massive waste of time. Cleary true in some cases but not in others.

If someone enjoys their time at uni, and delays slogging their guts out working for an employer who does not care about them, more power to them I say.
Reply 7
I think universities are a waste of so many resources, for the most part. University level education should only be the preserves of really technical courses, other than that, just condense the whole degree to 6 months and give me my cert!
Original post by 4Baddies
I cant believe there are people on this thread who defend institutions who blatantly exploit the system.

For some people University literally becomes a pyramid scheme

"For some people"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending