The Student Room Group

What should my A-level subjects reflect?

Hiya, recently been really stressed on coping with 5 a levels (including FM) and now I'm regretting biting off way more than I can chew. I'm looking to study architecture or game design at university; was thinking of dropping further maths and physics, being left with Fine art, 3D design and Maths. The former because I found out from some research FM is useless on your application for design-based courses if you attain a low grade and the latter because I cannot for some reason get myself to understand much of the course, wasting so much time on it pointlessly revising, time which I could have spent on my portfolios which I actually enjoy doing!
So I wanted to ask you guys if it's feasible for my getting into a decent uni (Bath, UCL, Nottingham and dare I say Cambridge) even if I dropped physics. I understand this may seem like a pretty juvenile question; I'm a first-gen immigrant in the UK, so my parents know about this even less than I.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by ChugZeOverlorde
Hiya, recently been really stressed on coping with 5 a levels (including FM) and now I'm regretting biting off way more than I can chew. I'm looking to study architecture or game design at university; was thinking of dropping further maths and physics, being left with Fine art, 3D design and Maths. The former because I found out from some research FM is useless on your application for design-based courses if you attain a low grade and the latter because I cannot for some reason get myself to understand much of the course, wasting so much time on it pointlessly revising, time which I could have spent on my portfolios which I actually enjoy doing!
So I wanted to ask you guys if it's feasible for my getting into a decent uni (Bath, UCL, Nottingham and dare I say Cambridge) even if I dropped physics. I understand this may seem like a pretty juvenile question; I'm a first-gen immigrant in the UK, so my parents know about this even less than I.

Relax. This can be sorted. There are some things you need to do before you make any choices.

1. What course entry requirements do Game Design and / or Architecture require? Google them.
2. When you have answered question 1 that will inform what you might drop
3. No one cares what A-levels you do or which university you went to. The best university out there is the one that supports and teaches you to reach your fullest potential and ideally lands you a job. The perceived universities neither offer the best teaching nor have the best graduate outcomes which is why St Andrews is at the top of the Guardian League tables and not Oxford or Cambridge which have relatively high unemployment rates after graduation.
4. Whatever happens in life, you always have options. So do what you enjoy not what you think is best. Life is too short to waste it on doing what you think is the right thing. If you enjoy fine art, psychology and PE, do that. Don't waste your time doing unenjoyable Physics.

Good luck!
Original post by ChugZeOverlorde

Have a look at this A levels for Architecture thread, which shows the current entry requirements for all RIBA-approved architecture courses. High grades (and a good portfolio) are important for the competitive courses so choose the three subjects you will do best in.

Quick Reply

Latest