The Student Room Group

Failing 2nd year resits, what position am i in now….

I’ve struggled with mental health and personal issues throughout my entire university journey and ended up redoing my first year in my Psychology course at Westminister University as a module retriever because of that.

I progressed into my 2nd year and my issues have came back and I failed two modules and had to resist, I passed one and failed the other resit by 2 marks. I highly doubt they’ll let me be a module retriever twice in a row so what do I do from this point now, I suppose wait for my withdrawal email? I don’t know just feel a bit numb, drained and upset knowing I wasted 3 years of my life.
if you have been keeping your university updated on your mental health issues then they should be sympathetic. Speak to your personal tutor and ask for guidance.
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve struggled with mental health and personal issues throughout my entire university journey and ended up redoing my first year in my Psychology course at Westminister University as a module retriever because of that.

I progressed into my 2nd year and my issues have came back and I failed two modules and had to resist, I passed one and failed the other resit by 2 marks. I highly doubt they’ll let me be a module retriever twice in a row so what do I do from this point now, I suppose wait for my withdrawal email? I don’t know just feel a bit numb, drained and upset knowing I wasted 3 years of my life.

Hello there,

Definitely speak to your tutors and your team about your issues and I am sure they will be able to help you.

Just in case things don't go the way you want them to, I just want to say that I promise you, you haven't wasted your time.
My husband dropped out of University under similar circumstances and really struggled for a while, but after a while he was hired by a company who decided to pay for him to do a degree apprenticeship part time, alongside working. He graduates this year with a first and no student loans.
He always really struggled with exams and the pressure of them, but found that by working in the industry 4 days a week, he learned loads and helped take the pressure off of him in exams.
I am a big believer that hard things happen sometimes to knock you off the path you are currently on so that you end up on the path you were meant to be on.

Just remember, you are not alone and this hasn't been a waste of your time, you will have learned loads and grown as a person hugely from this experience - which is just as important as anything else. Your mental health must always come first, so try and be kind to yourself.

Sending you lots of luck and positivity.
Jenny - a rep from Arts University Plymouth.
Reply 3
Original post by ArtsUniPlymouth
Hello there,

Definitely speak to your tutors and your team about your issues and I am sure they will be able to help you.

Just in case things don't go the way you want them to, I just want to say that I promise you, you haven't wasted your time.
My husband dropped out of University under similar circumstances and really struggled for a while, but after a while he was hired by a company who decided to pay for him to do a degree apprenticeship part time, alongside working. He graduates this year with a first and no student loans.
He always really struggled with exams and the pressure of them, but found that by working in the industry 4 days a week, he learned loads and helped take the pressure off of him in exams.
I am a big believer that hard things happen sometimes to knock you off the path you are currently on so that you end up on the path you were meant to be on.

Just remember, you are not alone and this hasn't been a waste of your time, you will have learned loads and grown as a person hugely from this experience - which is just as important as anything else. Your mental health must always come first, so try and be kind to yourself.

Sending you lots of luck and positivity.
Jenny - a rep from Arts University Plymouth.

Thank you so much for this : )
Reply 4
They might let you take forward the failed unit and do a second resit. This is what we'd do in our place.
Reply 5
Original post by gjd800
They might let you take forward the failed unit and do a second resit. This is what we'd do in our place.

Even in the position I am in?
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Even in the position I am in?

Yes. We'd usually offer that before a year retake. You should really speak to you academic advisor or departmental admins, they will have answers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending