The Student Room Group

Medicine and predicted grades

Hi guys! I've just done my mocks 2 weeks ago and ive got 2 and a half mocks back out of my three chosen subjects. With A being the maximum, I've got an A in Spanish, B in chemistry and so far in biology I've got an A on one out of the two papers we've sat (paper 2 hasn't been marked yet)! Supposing I'll get overall A/B in Biology will these grades give me solid predicted grades and a chance to study into uni? Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Manos00
Hi guys! I've just done my mocks 2 weeks ago and ive got 2 and a half mocks back out of my three chosen subjects. With A being the maximum, I've got an A in Spanish, B in chemistry and so far in biology I've got an A on one out of the two papers we've sat (paper 2 hasn't been marked yet)! Supposing I'll get overall A/B in Biology will these grades give me solid predicted grades and a chance to study into uni? Thanks.

The minimum for applying to med at uni would probably be the predicted grades of AAB as sometimes grades are lowered for widening participation or if you possibly to an EPQ. However if you are able to get predicted AAA that will set you up pretty well in that department or even higher as your mocks grades are good.
Ensure to do loads of different things such as volunteering and shadowing doctors and health professionals to pad out that personal statement and do lots of interview prep and revision for the ucat. As a good ucat score can secure you many interviews. But you can still secure interviews if you get a little lower on the ucat just apply strategically.
It’ll be a stressful time but you’ve got this.
Reply 2
Original post by Feeb_05
The minimum for applying to med at uni would probably be the predicted grades of AAB as sometimes grades are lowered for widening participation or if you possibly to an EPQ. However if you are able to get predicted AAA that will set you up pretty well in that department or even higher as your mocks grades are good.
Ensure to do loads of different things such as volunteering and shadowing doctors and health professionals to pad out that personal statement and do lots of interview prep and revision for the ucat. As a good ucat score can secure you many interviews. But you can still secure interviews if you get a little lower on the ucat just apply strategically.
It’ll be a stressful time but you’ve got this.

Hi and thanks you tons for the useful reply! I’ve done a 2 day shadowing work experience at the hospital theatres in which I’ve got to experience 4 or 5 surgeries. I wrote everything I did down on a book in case it’s needed. I then worked at a pharmacy for 6 months so I guess that will help. And I’ve been volunteering at Elizabeth hospice for 3-4 months now. I am also finishing up my EPQ and hopefully I get an A on that. I should be definitely getting an A* predicted for Spanish. Chemistry hopefully an A will do and then biology I’m not sure.
Reply 3
Original post by Manos00
Hi and thanks you tons for the useful reply! I’ve done a 2 day shadowing work experience at the hospital theatres in which I’ve got to experience 4 or 5 surgeries. I wrote everything I did down on a book in case it’s needed. I then worked at a pharmacy for 6 months so I guess that will help. And I’ve been volunteering at Elizabeth hospice for 3-4 months now. I am also finishing up my EPQ and hopefully I get an A on that. I should be definitely getting an A* predicted for Spanish. Chemistry hopefully an A will do and then biology I’m not sure.

Secure those excellent predicted grades and you’ll be all set. All your experience is perfect and definitely tie in the pharmacy work into how it’ll help you be a good doctor/med student. Everything sounds amazing I wish you the best of luck for your ucat and bmat if you take it and your future interviews

Quick Reply

Latest