The Student Room Group

Pharmacy as backup for Medicine

Hi
I was thinking of applying for pharmacy at either KCL or UCL as my fifth option, with the other 4 being medicine at Sunderland, Keele, QUB, and HYMS/Cardiff. (I'm not sure if I would want to take a gap year if med doesn't work out) I am aware that both KCL and UCL don't accept medicine personal statements, so I would need to write a second one (I'm unsure if you can submit this one through UCAS?) However I don't have any pharmacy specific WE, only GP practice, medical research and some volunteering. I was wondering if it's a good idea to apply for pharmacy, as I'm worried I'd be a weaker candidate.
Thank you :smile:
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Original post by roll0909
Hi
I was thinking of applying for pharmacy at either KCL or UCL as my fifth option, with the other 4 being medicine at Sunderland, Keele, QUB, and HYMS/Cardiff. (I'm not sure if I would want to take a gap year if med doesn't work out) I am aware that both KCL and UCL don't accept medicine personal statements, so I would need to write a second one (I'm unsure if you can submit this one through UCAS?) However I don't have any pharmacy specific WE, only GP practice, medical research and some volunteering. I was wondering if it's a good idea to apply for pharmacy, as I'm worried I'd be a weaker candidate.
Thank you :smile:

I can't say in terms of personal statement, however they do allow a seperate one and will consider you equally however if your passion and drive is with medicine I would strongly advise agaisnt pharamcy as just a back up its a lot of work for something you may not want to do. Many go into it for the money but without a passion you'll regret it and wish you did medicine. You can do medicine as a post graduate but it's going to add an extra 5 years till you can start. I would say believe in yourself is medicine is what you want but pharmacy shouldnt be treated as a backup
Original post by Vintageatheart
I can't say in terms of personal statement, however they do allow a seperate one and will consider you equally however if your passion and drive is with medicine I would strongly advise agaisnt pharamcy as just a back up its a lot of work for something you may not want to do. Many go into it for the money but without a passion you'll regret it and wish you did medicine. You can do medicine as a post graduate but it's going to add an extra 5 years till you can start. I would say believe in yourself is medicine is what you want but pharmacy shouldnt be treated as a backup

thank you :smile:
Original post by roll0909
thank you :smile:

You're welcome, follow what you want and you'll be fine you know yourself
You're welcome, follow what you want and you'll be fine you know yourself

I've already submitted my application and put biomedical science as a fifth option. I don't think I'll end up taking it though if medicine doesn't work out, i'll probably just take a gap year and reapply. thanks for your advice though, it really made me think about whether or not I'd actually enjoy pharmacy as a career- I don't think I would haha
Reply 6

Hi, I've applied to Pharmacy at Bath as my fifth option. I haven't heard back from them yet but I was wondering if you know whether my interview would be a bit different to others who have Pharmacy as their first choice? Thanks
Original post by mon1shax.x
Hi, I've applied to Pharmacy at Bath as my fifth option. I haven't heard back from them yet but I was wondering if you know whether my interview would be a bit different to others who have Pharmacy as their first choice? Thanks

I don't know, I don't believe so. However I would ask why you've decided to apply for pharamcy it's vastly different from medical school and has very different career prospects they're not particularly similar. I feel sometimes that pharmacy is just there and people choose it but they don't actually really like it. Have you done work experience in a pharmacy or pharmacy research lab?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending