The Student Room Group

Networking and LinkedIn etc while at Uni?

I graduated some time ago, joined LinkedIn soon after it got started and do find it helpful to keep track of my network as folks move around - its also reached the point where I have so many recruiter connections that I get job approaches most days.

My daughter is at Uni and I have been encouraging her to build a profile / connections while she studies

- but I don't know if that's the best approach for Undergrads, i.e. are there better channels?

- is there some etiquette, e.g. connecting with lecturers, course mates ? etc
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by ChiefBrody
I graduated some time ago, joined LinkedIn soon after it got started and do find it helpful to keep track of my network as folks move around - its also reached the point where I have so many recruiter connections that I get job approaches most days.

My daughter is at Uni and I have been encouraging her to build a profile / connections while she studies

- but I don't know if that's the best approach for Undergrads, i.e. are there better channels?

Replying to subscribe as it's probably something I need to encourage my son to do (3rd year undergrad).
Reply 2
bump anyone?

I did find this https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/10-tips-students-new-grads-linkedin-omar-garriott/

My top tip had been to join Groups but since Microsoft took over LinkedIn they have (for me anyhow) declined in usefulness
Original post by ChiefBrody

It's worthwhile having a LinkedIn account as a student to start building connections and exploring sectors you are interested in. I'm not sure if there is any specific etiquette, just connect with friends, coursemates, people who you meet at networking events, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending