The Student Room Group

How has the rising cost of living impacted your summer plans?

Poll

How has the rising cost of living impacted your summer plans?

The rising cost of living has been a major feature in the news for a good while now. It's fairly likely you might have seen some impact in your own life.

Now that exams are over and you're heading toward a (hopefully) restful summer break, I'm wondering whether the cost of living has impacted your summer plans?

What sorts of things are you doing as a result of your financial situation? Or perhaps to put yourself in a better position?

Is there any support you wish were available to you to help?

If you're looking for some help with the cost of living, there's a great guide for surviving the cost of living crisis here, plus we've got our Money and finance forum where you can ask advice from other students.
Hi,

Indeed, it is not difficult to see the effects of the rising cost of living. This can be overwhelming for us young students who are just starting an independent life.

As a result of inflation, I did not want to give up my plans and priorities, so I decided to implement habits that allow me to save money and not spend it senselessly. When I want to eat something outdoors, I order from Too Good To Go. When I want to buy clothes, I do it during seasonal sales. I cook mostly at home and I do my shopping in Lidl using the Lidl app. Small things like that kept me up to the same standard of living.

Apart from that, I am also extremely happy that De Montfort University has a cost of living fund available for those of us who feel extremely overwhelmed by inflation and its effects.

I am glad that such a post was created! It's great that we can exchange experiences and help each other :wink:

Take care,

Julia:h:
I gotta admit, this whole expensive living situation has made me rethink my summer plans too. But you know what? I'm staying positive and finding clever ways to still have a kickass summer without blowing all my cash. It's all about being resourceful and making the most of what we've got. So, how are you navigating this pricey summer?

Quick Reply

Latest