The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

Grades

I got a 2:1 in first year and got told it counted 10% towards my final grade (not sure) and I just found out I got a 3rd in second year and I’ve no idea how much it counts to my final grade but I was wondering if I still had a chance at a 1st overall and how much I’d have to get in my last year for it. Thanks!
Original post by StressedDucks
I got a 2:1 in first year and got told it counted 10% towards my final grade (not sure) and I just found out I got a 3rd in second year and I’ve no idea how much it counts to my final grade but I was wondering if I still had a chance at a 1st overall and how much I’d have to get in my last year for it. Thanks!

In order to work this out, you need to establish "how much it counts to my final grade". Also, you need to know your mark or percentage for years 1 and 2 - not just the grade. A 2:1 could be anything between 60.0% and 69.9% and 3rd could be anything between 40% and 49.9%. Those are significant ranges.

If we take mid-points, and assume your 2:1 in year 1 was 65% and your 3rd in year 2 was 45%, and assume (well, guess) that year 2 contributes 30% of your final degree (so 10% / 30% / 60% across the three years), then you'd need 84% in year 3 to get a 1st overall. So possible, but unlikely.
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending