The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

MSc vs MPhil Social Anthropology @ Oxford?

Hi all! I'm a current student of social anthropology who's looking to apply for postgraduate study at Oxford and I was just wondering whether anyone knew more about the differences between the MPhil and the MSc in Social Anthropology.
I understand that there are distinctions in course structure, but is the main purpose of having the two courses that the MPhil provides better preparation for potential Doctoral research? Just checking that I'm not missing anything major when making a decision between the two... (e.g: I know Cambridge has different MPhil courses for those who are new to the discipline and those who have studied it before).
Cheers!
Original post by intergalacticaa
Hi all! I'm a current student of social anthropology who's looking to apply for postgraduate study at Oxford and I was just wondering whether anyone knew more about the differences between the MPhil and the MSc in Social Anthropology.
I understand that there are distinctions in course structure, but is the main purpose of having the two courses that the MPhil provides better preparation for potential Doctoral research? Just checking that I'm not missing anything major when making a decision between the two... (e.g: I know Cambridge has different MPhil courses for those who are new to the discipline and those who have studied it before).
Cheers!

Hiya, I personally chose to apply for the MPhil in Social Anth because it seemed to be the more in-depth, longer, and more structured option. It's two years rather than three, with more options for field work. The MSc however has more open spots and in my opinion is still a viable option for if you wanted to continue to a PhD. I chose the MPhil mainly because I wanted more time to work on my proposed project, more opportunity for field work and possible funding, and more time in between when I need to decide if I will apply for my PhD.

Good luck with your applications, whichever route you end up choosing! :smile:
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Original post by juliannetet
Hiya, I personally chose to apply for the MPhil in Social Anth because it seemed to be the more in-depth, longer, and more structured option. It's two years rather than three, with more options for field work. The MSc however has more open spots and in my opinion is still a viable option for if you wanted to continue to a PhD. I chose the MPhil mainly because I wanted more time to work on my proposed project, more opportunity for field work and possible funding, and more time in between when I need to decide if I will apply for my PhD.

Good luck with your applications, whichever route you end up choosing! :smile:

Thank you so much for your reply! I'm a bit surprised that such a niche topic got any responses at all haha, but I'm glad to hear someone else's perspective on this! Good luck with your applications as well =D

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending