The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

KCL CompSci

Hiya, if all goes well I'll be studying CS at King's in September.

Was wondering if any current students could tell me what the course is like? Haven't found much online in terms of reviews. Any tips for preparing/studying?
Original post by MKTechDoc
Hiya, if all goes well I'll be studying CS at King's in September.

Was wondering if any current students could tell me what the course is like? Haven't found much online in terms of reviews. Any tips for preparing/studying?

The teaching a mixed bag, some lecturers are good and some really bad. The facilities are really good, especially the computer labs are Bush House. I'd looking into the PPA book to prepare if you haven't programmed before, the first few chapters should be online - it's called Java with BlueJ or something like that, it's by Michael Kolling.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
The teaching a mixed bag, some lecturers are good and some really bad. The facilities are really good, especially the computer labs are Bush House. I'd looking into the PPA book to prepare if you haven't programmed before, the first few chapters should be online - it's called Java with BlueJ or something like that, it's by Michael Kolling.

Yeah had an idea about the lectures from what I did find online lol but glad to hear the facilities are good. I've only ever programmed with Python at a very basic level and I've heard Java is a bit more difficult so thanks for the book rec. Do they give you adequate prep material for exams?
Yeah had an idea about the lectures from what I did find online lol but glad to hear the facilities are good. I've only ever programmed with Python at a very basic level and I've heard Java is a bit more difficult so thanks for the book rec. Do they give you adequate prep material for exams?

It's module depdendent, but in general no not really. For some modules they are really good with detailed guidance on what will come up and the type of question but for most they just all slides, videos, tutorial sheets, etc are examinable.
Reply 4
It's module depdendent, but in general no not really. For some modules they are really good with detailed guidance on what will come up and the type of question but for most they just all slides, videos, tutorial sheets, etc are examinable.

Love paying to teach myself :wink:. How's the maths though? I didn't do FM at A-Level, will I have trouble unless I do some catchup work now?
Love paying to teach myself :wink:. How's the maths though? I didn't do FM at A-Level, will I have trouble unless I do some catchup work now?

No it should be fine, FC1 is a bit tricky so maybe look into some discrete maths like set & graph theory but I and a lot of other people didn't do FM, and before 2022 you didn't even need A level Maths to get in and some of the 2022 graduates who got firsts didn't even do A level Maths
Reply 6
No it should be fine, FC1 is a bit tricky so maybe look into some discrete maths like set & graph theory but I and a lot of other people didn't do FM, and before 2022 you didn't even need A level Maths to get in and some of the 2022 graduates who got firsts didn't even do A level Maths

Yeah I noticed them asking for Maths was relatively new, thank god it's not super maths heavy then. Tysm for answering all my qs :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest