The Student Room Group

Should I carry on with my MPharm or leave with a BSc in Pharmaceutical Studies

Hello everyone,

I’m currently in a challenging situation and could really use some advice. I have been pursuing an MPharm at the University of Wolverhampton but have had to retake exams multiple times. Unfortunately, I ran out of time for the maximum registration period to complete my fourth year.

The university offered me the option to exit with a BSc in Pharmaceutical Studies, which I initially appealed. After several rejections, the university overturned their decision in my favor. However, during this process, I have become disillusioned with the course and have reconsidered my desire to be a pharmacist.

I’m at a crossroads and unsure whether I should continue with the MPharm or leave with the BSc. I have tried to research the latter but have found little information. I have considered a career in regulatory affairs, and if the BSc is sufficient for this path, I would be content with it.

Some additional context - I have a full-time job, and I am interested in venturing into copywriting in the future. I am also married, and my wife and I are eager to start a family soon. I am currently a third year who just had to resit one exam that I am awaiting a result for

Another factor is my mental health, which has been adversely affected during my time at the university. The constant stress and dissatisfaction with the course have significantly impacted my well-being.

I’m interested in hearing from anyone who may have been in a similar situation or who can provide insights into the value of a BSc in Pharmaceutical Studies. Should I push through with the MPharm or exit with the BSc and prioritise other aspects of my life?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Take the BSc, and run. If you have trouble with exams, you only get 3 attempts at the pre-reg exam, so prob best to leave now and focus on your family and a slightly different career.
I would certainly talk to the university career service and your personal tutor especially, to make sure you have covered all the pros and cons.
Reply 2
Original post by mrlittlebigman
Take the BSc, and run. If you have trouble with exams, you only get 3 attempts at the pre-reg exam, so prob best to leave now and focus on your family and a slightly different career.
I would certainly talk to the university career service and your personal tutor especially, to make sure you have covered all the pros and cons.

I ended up taking my BSc and have looked into going into regulatory affairs. I don't regret it one bit. I feel a massive weight has been lifted from my shoulders since it was originally 'I have to stick to pharmacy I have nothing else' to I can explore the pharmaceutical industry with what I have and constantly challenge my self. I'm a lot happier now and wouldn't recommend pharmacy to anybody who is just in it for the money. You need real passion for it for how long and strenuous the course is
Original post by nilsj567
I ended up taking my BSc and have looked into going into regulatory affairs. I don't regret it one bit. I feel a massive weight has been lifted from my shoulders since it was originally 'I have to stick to pharmacy I have nothing else' to I can explore the pharmaceutical industry with what I have and constantly challenge my self. I'm a lot happier now and wouldn't recommend pharmacy to anybody who is just in it for the money. You need real passion for it for how long and strenuous the course is

Congratulations on your BSc pharma science degree.
Really pleased you are going to use it as a basic science degree, and good luck with your future career.
If you are already stressed with the course and the profession, then it's for the best that you go down this route.
Totally agree with you about money and passion side of things.
Glad that you feel much happier.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending