The Student Room Group

please answer this

i am currently moving to year 11, for the grand finale test "gcses", if i am going to be honest i know i have to revise and try my hardest. but the other part of me questions but at what cost? i feel like, i wouldnt mind living a life of failure, but then i think about my family. its just i would rather not try, i dont feel like trying, can someone help me to improve the state i am in? and if i do try and fail, honestly i will laugh at myself.
Yeah you don’t mind living a life of failure because it’s us tax payers / your parents who will pay for you .
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
i am currently moving to year 11, for the grand finale test "gcses", if i am going to be honest i know i have to revise and try my hardest. but the other part of me questions but at what cost? i feel like, i wouldnt mind living a life of failure, but then i think about my family. its just i would rather not try, i dont feel like trying, can someone help me to improve the state i am in? and if i do try and fail, honestly i will laugh at myself.

Hi Anonymous,

The question I always ask people is, if you decide to or not to do something, would you regret it?

Life is full of possibilities, think about the future, set a goal and run with it 🙂, you're never too old to learn nor is it too late to go back to and redo subjects or topics later in life, there are countless careers out there which don't require you to be a scientist or an expert at maths, so whatever your decision you are not a failure, your journey is just diffrent to theirs.
Reply 3
Original post by Micromanager
Yeah you don’t mind living a life of failure because it’s us tax payers / your parents who will pay for you .

and if they dont, what would you respond

Surely there must be some material things you want in life? I dunno... maybe exotic holidays? Fun nights on the town? A nice car? Designer jewelery / Fashionable clothes? Of course none of the above are guaranteed, but if you work on building your life's foundations (e.g. a good educational background or professional skill-set), they all become much more within your reach.

So you say you're going into year 11... what would happen if your class had a reunion, say, 5 years down the line?.., Surely you'd want to be able to tell your peers you are doing or have done XYZ with your life, no? Personally, I'd be a bit embarrassed if I came back and was a NEAT. What would your life be like if you were on benefits? IMHO, there's only so much Daytime TV you can stomach before your brain turns to mush.

What would you be doing if you weren't revising? Most of your friends will be in the same boat, so it's not like you can go out on the town (unless you're billy no mates lol).

Original post by Micromanager

and if they dont, what would you respond

I could be wrong, but I think the point Micromanager was making was that you'll be a burden on society and the people you love care about. Of course someone's going to fork out to pay for you, whether that's family or council benefits. Definitely you would be, unless you became homeless (would you really want that?).

Besides, the money you'd get is literally the bare minimum to survive (JSA says you only need £67.70 a week until you're 24... considering you're expected to do everything with that money (food, clothes, bills etc.) , it's not a lot of money is it?!?.

https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance

i get how u feel, ive just finished year 13, year 12 - i tried so hard, revising almost 6-7 hours a day and barely scraped Cs. i failed first year at a level and was genuinely going to drop out, something kept me going, i didnt want to do another year. I cried so much when i saw my year 12 results i felt ashamed sitting at my desk and looking at all the revision materials i made. i didnt sit at my desk from august until december. At that point i realised im already in this and if i dont try its 2 years in the bin, and in your case 5 years- year 7 to 11, down the drain and for what. ibr a lot of ppl say gcses dont matter but coming from a year 13 student, they dont matter AS much, but yes they do- whats the point of not trying and throwing 5 years of ur life away? for what? I pushed myself so so hard, changing my revision techniques and year 13 flew by, so will year 11, but not trying is NOT the answer. fix up. your parents arent gonna be there forever to spoon feed you everythin, get ur grades, become something and do whatever - living a life of a failure gets u nowhere, fix up because having that mindset wont get u anywhere in life.

Our bodies are computers,as said by Ali Abdaal. But what does that mean? Picture this, you have a computer but its very slow and it takes forever to load webpages what are you going to do to make is faster and more efficient? You're not going to sit their and shout "try harder" at it, no. You are going to change its system, upgrade it to make it faster and perform better. That idea applies to us, you need to change your systems, the way you go about tackling everything not just revision. Some examples of systems are: active recall, flashcards, blurting, notes, annotations, diagrams and so much more.

I would say to seriously sit down with yourself and first think of a goal and create a vision, not the measly "pass my GCSES" but rather a dream or a career you may want to pursue. If you are still stuck and don't know what you want to do, go to museums, university open days, talk to current college students. Do SOMETHING to spark your interests. That way you'll feel as though you have something worth fighting for. Then, go onto pinterest and create a board, add pictures to it to create a moodboard of everything you wish to have or be in the future or generally anything that inspires you.

It sounds useless but you'd be surprised how uplifting it can be to look at it when times are rough and remind yourself why you are started in the first place.

This will sound like bs right now but you have a very bright future ahead, and that can only happen if you're willing to create that bright future.
Reply 7
I may be over-interpreting what you said, but it sounds like you have very little belief in yourself and are managing your own expectations by trying to convince yourself that you'd be happy to be a failure... so anything better would be a massive bonus.
I don't believe anyone wants to be a failure, but I do know that when people face something that feels really overwhelming for them, sometimes they feel they don't have the strength or the ability to even start trying... I have no way of knowing whether this may be your case, but if is, please try to get support. E.g., is there someone you trust you could talk this through in confidence? Does your school offer counselling? I think you need to find a way of convincing yourself you can do it and then the motivation will follow. I know it's hard, I've seen it first hand... Best of luck to you.

ive just finished my gcses and i think u should just be practical abt it... ur gonn NEED a job. like wdym 'living a life of failure'???? when u dont have a stable job to even get u a big mac when u feel like it, ur gonna start hating the failure core lifestyle prettttyyyy quick.

gcses arent hard. theyre annoying as hell but they arent as bad as ppl make it out to be. as long as u study for like 2 hrs everyday you'll be fine. its reallly not that hard bro. and ik i should prob be telling u to try ur best or something but like... try to get 9s for ur core subjects ur planning to take for a levels and 7s for everything else. these grades can impact the college u get into and what comes after. if u want me to scare u more just lmk

Quick Reply

Latest