The Student Room Group

Personal Statement:/

I've just finished year 12 and am now getting ready to write up my personal statement. I'd like to study cyber security or computer science however I'm not sure how to go about writing my statement as I do bio, chem and history how do I make a connection between the course and my subjects?
(p.s I know that maths is a requirement for the majority of technology relevant courses, so I might do a foundation year)
Original post by 35kammy21
I've just finished year 12 and am now getting ready to write up my personal statement. I'd like to study cyber security or computer science however I'm not sure how to go about writing my statement as I do bio, chem and history how do I make a connection between the course and my subjects?
(p.s I know that maths is a requirement for the majority of technology relevant courses, so I might do a foundation year)

Think about the skills you have picked up in doing your subjects:

-All three will have involved critical thinking

-Chemistry involves a lot of problem solving and use of your mathematical skills

-Biology involves analysing a lot of data and reaching conclusions from it

-History involves essay writing and concisely summarising your findings

-Any presentations you will have done in any of your subjects will have helped you to learn to present your ideas to an audience

Just to name a few transferrable skills

And yes, I’d probably say a foundation year is justified
Original post by 35kammy21

You shouldn’t be wasting space in your PS “linking” subjects. Admissions staff are well aware what skills and knowledge different A levels provide applicants - they don’t need to read hundreds of PSs explaining the content of the curriculum to them.

Your PS should be about why you want to study your chosen degree and what you have done relating to that degree and find interesting so far.

For CS that would generally be describing a coding challenge that you’ve tackled explaining the problem, your approach to solving it and reflecting on what worked well and what you would do differently in future
Original post by TypicalNerd
Think about the skills you have picked up in doing your subjects:

-All three will have involved critical thinking

-Chemistry involves a lot of problem solving and use of your mathematical skills

-Biology involves analysing a lot of data and reaching conclusions from it

-History involves essay writing and concisely summarising your findings

-Any presentations you will have done in any of your subjects will have helped you to learn to present your ideas to an audience

Just to name a few transferrable skills

And yes, I’d probably say a foundation year is justified

Admissions staff are well aware of all of this. There’s no value to adding this content into a PS. It isn’t personal or unique and tells admissions staff nothing about the writer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending