The Student Room Group

MA in interdisciplinary psychology.. Job prospects?

Hi,

I currently have an unconditional offer for interdisciplinary psychology.

My main questions are..

1. Since this course is not BPS accredited what are my job prospects? as ideally I want to practice psychology or psychotherapy? Would this mean I would have to go for my PhD in order to practice?

2. Will this degree be recognized enough to get work even after my masters? weather in an academic field or research? As I don't want to essentially have just paid for an expensive piece of paper, (though they kinda are that :tongue: )

Thank you
Reply 1
If your course is not BPS (British Psychological Society) accredited, it may have an impact on your job prospects in certain areas of psychology. BPS accreditation is often required for roles that involve direct application of psychology, such as becoming a chartered psychologist or working within the National Health Service (NHS) in the UK. BPS accreditation is particularly important if you want to pursue a career in clinical psychology, counseling psychology, or other specific branches of psychology that require professional recognition.
Without BPS accreditation, it may be more challenging to practice psychology or psychotherapy in certain contexts. However, there are alternative routes you can explore. For example, you can still work in related fields such as research, education, human resources, or social services. You could also consider pursuing a PhD in psychology, which could enhance your qualifications and open up more opportunities for practice.

It's worth noting that requirements and regulations vary across countries, so it's important to research the specific accreditation and licensing requirements in the region where you plan to work.

While a non-BPS accredited degree may not have the same level of recognition as an accredited one, it does not mean that it is worthless or that you won't be able to find work. Many employers value interdisciplinary approaches and skills, and your degree may provide you with a unique perspective that can be advantageous in certain contexts.
After completing your master's degree, you could still find opportunities in academic or research settings. Universities and research institutions often value interdisciplinary backgrounds as they encourage collaboration and diverse perspectives. Your success in securing these opportunities will also depend on your academic performance, research experience, and the specific requirements of the roles you're interested in.

Remember, qualifications are just one aspect of your professional journey. Gaining practical experience through internships, volunteering, or part-time jobs can also significantly enhance your employability. Additionally, pursuing further education, such as a PhD, can open up additional opportunities and increase your chances of practicing psychology or psychotherapy in a clinical setting.

Ultimately, it's important to consider your long-term goals and evaluate how this degree aligns with them. You may also want to reach out to professionals in your desired field or academic advisors who can provide more specific guidance based on your personal circumstances and career aspirations.

Quick Reply

Latest