The Student Room Group

Complicated Situation - What should I do? SSRI issue.

Saw there was a mental health section so here we go.
I have autism, ADHD. anxiety and 'low mood'.
Because of the last two, I was prescribed fluoxetine 20mg.
This worked well but had the side effects of making me feel 'emotionally numb' or, as i would put it, like I had a brick wall in my brain stopping me from feeling certain emotions (including the bad ones). I couldn't feel the feeling like I understood something, this affected my learning. I went down to 10mg, this seemed to help it. However I'm going into y13, feel like I don't understand any of the a level content. Lost all motivation and feel depressed. As far as I can see it there are two options,

1. speak to psychiatrist about going back up to 20mg
2. come off it entirely,

Can't really continue as I am, brain is gloomy mush. Anybody else experienced similar problems or have advice anyway. More information about my academic situation can be found on this post, I know no one cares though.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7379934

Thanks
Reply 1
Hi. I have autism, anxiety and problems with low mood. I doubt it would be a good idea to go off your meds. I would recommend to Consult your Doctor about it, maybe about moving you to a different medicine that won't have a bad impact on your learning ability. I was on 50mg Sertraline and it was great for some time with no bad side effects I was aware of, but am back in a bad situation and may ask to be put on 100mg. I'd say not to sacrifice your mental health for your learning because getting through education is challenging and painfully depressing while going through untreated mental health. I completed my GCSE's whilst going through untreated mental health and those were the worst and hardest years of my life, which are still scarring. I'd recommend not to force yourself to stick to your A levels and drop out to focus on your mental health if you are struggling and return to education once you have recovered, education isn't as important as your well-being and don't be influenced by others opinions, you know yourself and your needs best.
(edited 9 months ago)
Perhaps talk to your Dr about trying a different SSRI, possibly sertraline or citalopram may help with the anxiety. Fluoxetine can be quite stimulating in some people which can make anxiety worse.
Don't just stop your meds though as you may get a withdrawal effect.

As for education, ask for help, are you able to afford a private tutor, could you change school/college, are you sure you have picked the best subjects to study, all this really needs to be discussed with your personal tutor.

And people do care. There is always help available, but with so much going on, especially post-Covid, you might need to shout a little louder for it.
Reply 3
I’m autistic and take sertraline 150mg. It’s a tricky one which I think you should speak to your psychiatrist about. I think it’s not as black and white as going off or up , they may switch you to a different one. Antidepressants also don’t replace therapy or lifestyle changes but make it easier to benefit from them and you can still get depressed but the idea is that the lows are milder and shorter. Hope you find a solution that works for you
Original post by Snowgirl44
I’m autistic and take sertraline 150mg. It’s a tricky one which I think you should speak to your psychiatrist about. I think it’s not as black and white as going off or up , they may switch you to a different one. Antidepressants also don’t replace therapy or lifestyle changes but make it easier to benefit from them and you can still get depressed but the idea is that the lows are milder and shorter. Hope you find a solution that works for you

Lifestyle is a really good point.
Drs always ask about alcohol intake, but hardly ever ask about nutrition, what you eat, if you exercise.
Just sitting outside or going for a short walk for 20 mins can help lift mood a little bit I've found over the years.
I also found cutting back on processed food and increasing fruit and vegetable intake by making smoothies in a Nutribullet really helped me, for 6 days of the week, then having a day when I treated myself to a pizza or a block of choc.
I also was lucky enough to be able to pay for a course of psychotherapy but it is worth asking your GP about joining the waiting list for counselling/CBT.

I also found self-help books invaluable.
Climbing out of depression by Sue Atkinson is a great little book to start with.

I would add, has the GP done any blood tests to check thyroid, vitamin D levels, etc
Reply 5
Hello - please go back to your psychiatrist and discuss. There are many other SSRIs, plus other medications for depression and/or anxiety (eg SNRIs) that could suit you better. If it is possible to control your anxiety and depression better then it will be easier to make other decisions. I wish you the very best.
Original post by icewaterforblood
Saw there was a mental health section so here we go.
I have autism, ADHD. anxiety and 'low mood'.
Because of the last two, I was prescribed fluoxetine 20mg.
This worked well but had the side effects of making me feel 'emotionally numb' or, as i would put it, like I had a brick wall in my brain stopping me from feeling certain emotions (including the bad ones). I couldn't feel the feeling like I understood something, this affected my learning. I went down to 10mg, this seemed to help it. However I'm going into y13, feel like I don't understand any of the a level content. Lost all motivation and feel depressed. As far as I can see it there are two options,

1. speak to psychiatrist about going back up to 20mg
2. come off it entirely,

Can't really continue as I am, brain is gloomy mush. Anybody else experienced similar problems or have advice anyway. More information about my academic situation can be found on this post, I know no one cares though.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7379934

Thanks

If this type og medication an SSRI works try an alternative like citalopram or sertraline . You hopefully will get the benefit without the same side effects. They are similar but not the same

Quick Reply

Latest