The Student Room Group

Is it too late for my dreams? And How can I forgive myself?

I cant stop thinking about my past academic errors, they have also lead to me having to take a gap year, and its preventing me from working as hard as i should be this summer in order to actually catch up on content for y12 so i am prepared for y13....as i keep feeling like its too late and i cant stop thinking about how much easier it would have been for me if i came to this realization a year ago and i need to get a drastic increase in my grades ....any advise would be welcome
Original post by Anonymous
I cant stop thinking about my past academic errors, they have also lead to me having to take a gap year, and its preventing me from working as hard as i should be this summer in order to actually catch up on content for y12 so i am prepared for y13....as i keep feeling like its too late and i cant stop thinking about how much easier it would have been for me if i came to this realization a year ago and i need to get a drastic increase in my grades ....any advise would be welcome

A huge number of students take a gap year, typically between A level and university but often at other times too. It is far from too late. Taking a gap will have almost zero impact on your ability to achieve your academic goals. Your current mindset (which you say is "preventing me from working as hard as i should be this summer") is much more likely to be an issue. You are in danger of experiencing a self-fulfilling prophecy, whereby your fear of academic woes cases the very thing you fear.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
A huge number of students take a gap year, typically between A level and university but often at other times too. It is far from too late. Taking a gap will have almost zero impact on your ability to achieve your academic goals. Your current mindset (which you say is "preventing me from working as hard as i should be this summer") is much more likely to be an issue. You are in danger of experiencing a self-fulfilling prophecy, whereby your fear of academic woes cases the very thing you fear.

thank u so much for ur advise ..u are right...but i dont rlly know how to change the way i think rn
thank u so much for ur advise ..u are right...but i dont rlly know how to change the way i think rn

im taking a gap year to reapply to med, what's so bad about it?
The pain of regret is much deeper then the pain you save from hesitation.

Ultimately its a motivation question, if we were ten years in the future looking back, what would you be happy having done (do that).

It’s never too late to achieve your goals and dreams there’s always mistakes and errors but that’s life and in life they help you become better and you realise and learn from it :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by B7861
im taking a gap year to reapply to med, what's so bad about it?

tbh its not rlly the gap yr i have an issue with though i do feel some shame et from taking it because of the fact that i have to take it , so like what lead to it, the thing that bothers me is my behaviour...its not that i dont try to work its just that for e.g i will sit down adn try to work for 3hrs but i would only have done 30min or max an hour from it....and this causes me a lot of guilt
Reply 7
Original post by mnot
The pain of regret is much deeper then the pain you save from hesitation.

Ultimately its a motivation question, if we were ten years in the future looking back, what would you be happy having done (do that).

i totally get that but i dont know how to let go of the deep rooting guilt and regret i have rn...
Reply 8
Original post by Mohammed_80
It’s never too late to achieve your goals and dreams there’s always mistakes and errors but that’s life and in life they help you become better and you realise and learn from it :smile:

i get that and i know i shouldnt compare myself to others but i cant help compare my self to a very close family remember of mine who is in the same yr etc who hasnt struggled like this at all --she is doing fine so my family dont rlly get why i am like that and they dont intend to but i still feel that they are discouraging me from following my dreams as it may be "too hard for me" and tbh i already dont believe in myself so it hurts that they dont fully believe in me ...like she sint smarter than me ...i think...etc its just i get stressed so easily and have rlly low confidence so my mental state is always stopping me and i am so sacred that it wont improve....
i get that and i know i shouldnt compare myself to others but i cant help compare my self to a very close family remember of mine who is in the same yr etc who hasnt struggled like this at all --she is doing fine so my family dont rlly get why i am like that and they dont intend to but i still feel that they are discouraging me from following my dreams as it may be "too hard for me" and tbh i already dont believe in myself so it hurts that they dont fully believe in me ...like she sint smarter than me ...i think...etc its just i get stressed so easily and have rlly low confidence so my mental state is always stopping me and i am so sacred that it wont improve....

well crying on a forum isnt gonna help, get back to work and take steps to improve yourself
Reply 10
Original post by B7861
well crying on a forum isnt gonna help, get back to work and take steps to improve yourself

ur right...i am taking the steps rn to improve :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest