The Student Room Group

advice after biomedical science

Hi there! I graduated in biomedical science, I really loved my course and I like working in a lab but I’m not sure that I’d like to work every single day of my life in a lab (I know that there are also non-lab jobs but I don’t like them anyway). I’d like a job in which I can do some research/ lab work and be in touch with patients/ do some clinical things, so I was thinking to apply to med school. Do you know if once you become a physician can you do also some research work?
It's completely possible to do research and medical work, it's also entirely possible to be an NHS scientist and see patients.

Graduate entry medicine is ludicrously competitive, so you'll need good grades and lots of other parts to top up your application (I've mentored a couple of people through the process - volunteering in the NHS is a good way of helping your application.)

Another thing to look at is the scientist training programme. The clinical scientist pathway might suit. Again it's competitive so for the next year I would highly recommend volunteering in the NHS or getting some form of job (health care assistant is a good one - it shows dedication to patient care and that someone won't shy away from the less glamorous parts of healthcare)
Reply 2
Original post by HealthcareSci
It's completely possible to do research and medical work, it's also entirely possible to be an NHS scientist and see patients.

Graduate entry medicine is ludicrously competitive, so you'll need good grades and lots of other parts to top up your application (I've mentored a couple of people through the process - volunteering in the NHS is a good way of helping your application.)

Another thing to look at is the scientist training programme. The clinical scientist pathway might suit. Again it's competitive so for the next year I would highly recommend volunteering in the NHS or getting some form of job (health care assistant is a good one - it shows dedication to patient care and that someone won't shy away from the less glamorous parts of healthcare)

thanks for your reply! but how can NHS scientists see patients? A guy who studied with me biomedical science said that NHS scientists always stay in the lab
Original post by ggmar
thanks for your reply! but how can NHS scientists see patients? A guy who studied with me biomedical science said that NHS scientists always stay in the lab

Then your guy is wrong. Lots and lots of NHS scientists see patients every day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending