The Student Room Group

job at uni

I have social anxiety and havent had a job since the pandemic. I was made redundant because the business had to shut down. since then I have tried small jobs but I haven't even managed a 2h shift without breaking down afterwards. come 2nd year and I'm in a studio and having to pay nearly 13k in rent (thankfully including bills except wifi). I am lucky enough to have parents who can afford it, but they're saying I need to get a job on the side. it is completely understandable, and I'm not trying to appear lazy about this but I'm really struggling to get my head around facing customers for hours on end when I can barely face being in a classroom for an hour. anyone have any advice on this please? its really stressing me out atm and I dont want my anxiety to worsen it more than it already has..
Original post by Anonymous
I have social anxiety and havent had a job since the pandemic. I was made redundant because the business had to shut down. since then I have tried small jobs but I haven't even managed a 2h shift without breaking down afterwards. come 2nd year and I'm in a studio and having to pay nearly 13k in rent (thankfully including bills except wifi). I am lucky enough to have parents who can afford it, but they're saying I need to get a job on the side. it is completely understandable, and I'm not trying to appear lazy about this but I'm really struggling to get my head around facing customers for hours on end when I can barely face being in a classroom for an hour. anyone have any advice on this please? its really stressing me out atm and I dont want my anxiety to worsen it more than it already has..

Heya, have you looked at student jobs through your university's career service? Often these will be geared towards students and will have lower hours.
Another option is non (or less) -customer-facing jobs e.g. back of house in kitchens, washing up etc. I liked that kind of jobs as there wasn't much responsibility attached to them but I still enjoyed them. My current job is McD's which has customer interaction, but mostly I have a 'script' which I don't stray far away from in my brain, as its mostly the same/similar stuff every order :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest