The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

University of birmingham Law - first year

Hello, I would like to hear some experiences from the law students about their first year. Can anyone share knowledge on how the first semester was, how you prepared for exams and lectures etc?
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by makeshift_
Hello, I would like to hear some experiences from the law students about their first year. Can anyone share knowledge on how the first semester was, how you prepared for exams and lectures etc?

Hi there, I have just finished second year law school at the University of Kent, hope my experience can give you an insight to studying law. :smile:

For my first semester at Kent, it was quite a gradual introduction to the material and content of the course. The course gave me a lot of time to get used to the teaching styles and develop my own learning methods.

For lectures, some people prefer to read over the slides and make notes before going into the lecutre, so they can absorb the information easily.

However, there are also others who prefer to just review the information after the lecture is delivered. This would allow you to focus on preparation for seminars. (I tried both methods out, and found that the latter worked out better for me).

The good thing about University, is that you are given a lot of independence, and it is up to you to try out and find what works the best for you.

Law is mainly coursework based. (For my Univeresity, we only had exams at the end of the term). I think it is important to stay organised and keep up with deadlines. As you will have multiple modules, it is key that you keep on top of your workload. I find that it is always best to leave time to proof read your work before submissions.

To me, I found reading the content for law in the first semester took a long time (perhaps because I did not study law related subjects in A levels). However, you really pick up your speed of extracting information as time goes on, mainly because you know what information is key from the readings.

Overall, first semester was really good. Try to enjoy it as much as possible. (I would emphasis a work life balance, and definetely have a look at social events, as University should not be 100% about studying.)

I hope my experience helps, and hope you enjoy your University experience. :smile:

Chloe
- University of Kent Student Rep
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending